Senior Data Engineer (remote)
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
WHO WE ARE
VerticalScope (TSE: FORA) operates one of the 10 largest online community platforms in the US. Our platform includes over 1,000 websites and 100 million monthly visitors. Our mission is to enable the world to share expertise and discover knowledge on subjects they love. We operate at the intersection of community, content, and commerce; and believe in the power of enthusiasts to inform and inspire.
At VerticalScope, we are reimagining the future of online communities and are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to help us do just that. As Senior Data Engineer, you will collaborate with other Engineers, Data Scientists, Product Managers, and Designers on the shared objective of helping users share and discover valuable knowledge about their hobbies, interests, and pastimes. Our team strikes a healthy balance between rapid experimentation to test new user experiences and well-architected, robust, scalable pipeline development to continuously analyze large volumes of data. This is an exciting opportunity to join a mission-focused public company with a startup mentality.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build and automate scalable, performant batch and streaming data pipelines
- Work with large-scale, high-volume heterogeneous data with distributed systems
- Design and maintain robust data models, data storage, retrieval, caching, replication, and optimization techniques
- Work and communicate asynchronously with distributed teams
- Contribute to maintenance and rethinking of existing datasets, pipelines, tools to serve a wide variety of use cases and improve productivity of engineers across the company
- Other related responsibilities and ad hoc projects as negotiated and needed to meet the ongoing needs of the company
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer developing, deploying, and maintaining production data pipelines
- Experience developing batch and streaming production pipelines deployed in production environments
- Ability to write efficient and complex relational database queries (SQL)
- Experience with message brokers and event streaming platforms such as Google PubSub, Kafka or similar
- Proficiency in at least one of Scala, Python, or Java
- Experience with Apache Beam/Dataflow/Scio, Spark or similar framework
- Start-up mentality - Proven ability to thrive in an experimental, collaborative setting; and comfort in navigating uncertainty
YOU’RE A GREAT FIT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Familiarity with search engine indexing and query languages like Lucene, Elasticsearch, SOLR
- Ability to convert vague requirements into scalable data solutions
- Interest in machine learning technologies
- Understanding of best practices around PII and sensitive information, including GDPR and other local and global compliance standards
LIFE AT VERTICALSCOPE
We believe that competitive benefits are an important investment in our people and culture. In addition to joining a passionate and collaborative team culture, your benefits and perks include:
- Full suite of health benefits (medical, dental, vision), including fertility options
- Retirement savings program and HSA/FSA programs
- Flexible working hours and unlimited vacation
- Parental leave top up pay
- Life insurance, long-term disability, AD&D
- Employee Stock Option Program (ESOP)
- Career development stipend
- Employee referral bonus
- Employee discounts
- High-tech office space and remote work options
- Virtual social events
- Inclusive culture
Our company values diversity of thought and believes diverse teams make innovation possible. We work on complex, difficult problems with no linear or clear solutions. We believe that a diverse team can bring different perspectives and approaches, and whose experiences reflect the full set of clients we seek to serve. As such, VerticalScope is committed to a diverse representation among our employees.
If you require disability-related accommodation during the application, recruitment, and interview process, please let us know and we will work with you to make all possible adjustments to suit your needs.
AddressMountain View, CA
Get fresh Data Engineer 1 jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.