Product Manager - VSS
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Vertellus is a dynamic global organization with more than a century of leadership in manufacturing health, agriculture, and performance chemicals. Our company is also a leading provider in the world of specialty chemicals for agriculture, nutrition, pharmaceutical, fine chemicals, medical, personal care, plastics, coatings, and many other industrial markets. Our products are in the things you use every day – toothpaste, deodorants, vitamins, pharmaceuticals, detergents, plastics, adhesives, inks, tires, and more. Our culture is built on mutual trust and respect for all employees to focus on providing the best products and solutions to our customers.
At Vertellus, we hold ourselves and each other Accountable for Delivering Results with a Bias for Action while always acting with the utmost integrity, this is truly what it means to be a Vertellus employee. We take great pride in displaying our Core Values through our work and our teams.
Vertellus is a dynamic international company with more than a century of leadership in the manufacture of health, personal and household care, agriculture and performance chemicals. Our culture is built on mutual trust and respect for all employees so that we can focus on providing the best products and solutions to our customers.
The Product Manager for Vertellus Specialty Solutions (VSS) oversees product and asset profitability for the product lines assigned. Specific focus of the role is to:
- Deliver the gross margin target of assigned product line(s) and drive continuous improvement to optimize and grow margins through pricing, product/asset allocation and cost reduction activity(ies)
- Proactively support the business and sales with the setting, implementation and management of the price strategy for the assigned product lines; makes pricing decisions based on value proposition, external market dynamics and internal asset optimization
- Identify opportunities and is the commercial lead on projects to reduce cost, maintain security of supply, and/or optimize assets
- Work to improve overall asset value and utilization and put in place internal work processes to improve the organizations’ ability to improve profitability, grow via new products and optimize asset use
- Manage the full product life cycle for assigned product lines within the VSS business unit, in conjunction with the strategic direction set by the business management team
- Support the business team with the development and execution of long-term plans related to assigned product line(s) including product launch, growth opportunities, line extension and sunset
- The Product Manager will report directly to the Global Business Director of Vertellus Specialty Solutions.
- Product Line Profitability and Pricing: Owns and is accountable for achieving the gross margin target for assigned product line(s). Tracks and recommends price adjustments based on customer and product margin analysis, and in response to raw material price changes and/or changes in supply/demand balance in the marketplace. Owns and maintains the product line price list. Tracks, analyzes, and assesses product line profitability, develops recommendations based on issues to the management team and implements. Identifies options and leads projects to reduce product costs, including but not limited to outsourcing products or whole operations, or restructuring. Works with purchasing to identify strategic raw material sourcing options to improve product line profitability. Monitors key export and import activity relating to specific product lines for both raw materials and finished goods to maintain competitive profile
- SIOP and Product Fulfillment: Integral player in Sales, Inventory and Operational Planning (SIOP) process, and partners with supply chain team members to address any issues. Assist in coordinating resolution to systemic issues. Insures alignment between product activities and business objectives. Works with supply chain team and other stakeholders to develop inventory policies, levels and lead times for product lines across portfolio. Assist managers, directors evaluating and implementing strategic sourcing of product from third parties.
- Strategic Marketing: Participates in strategic marketing efforts that involve competitive manufacturing analysis, manufacturing cost improvement or new capability to expand market participation. Understands the product value proposition for implementation of pricing strategy together with sales.
- New Product Introductions: Assists in the evaluation of asset utilization and profitability for new product opportunities from concept through to launch. Conducts economic evaluation of new offering and capabilities.
- Product Life Cycle Management: In conjunction with the business team, the product manager should manage the full product life cycle (introduction through to withdrawal) in line with the business strategy set by the business.
- Asset Utilization to Maximize Profitability: Assist in capacity planning and growth investment assessments (capital justification or outsourcing). Leads prioritization of productivity / growth projects. Develop and prioritize opportunities to generate additional income without impacting fixed costs. Develop models in multiple use assets to maximize profitability per unit time where conflicts arise, and makes profit-optimization recommendations. In conjunction with manufacturing, identifies non-capital alternatives for constrained assets. Works closely with supply chain to determine optimized EBITDA by ensuring:
- Multiple asset mix optimized
- Co-products optimized in plan
- Evaluates and recommends make vs buy product
- Develops and updates tools for sales to determine best value in product chains, downstream or upstream
- Long Term Planning: Is an integral person in building and managing long-term plans for VSS, working alongside the business management team to implement and provide ongoing management of the plan.
- Complies with company Health, Safety and Environmental policies, procedures and arrangements
- Reports all Health, Safety and Environmental accidents, incidents and near misses promptly
- Acts in a safe and responsible manner at all times
Problem Solving & Innovation:
- Active participation within continuous improvement activities
- Participates in problem-solving
- Takes responsibility and ownership for own learning and development in the spirit of continuous improvement of both self and the business
- Assists in the training, mentoring, and assessment of other team members
- Exercises autonomy and judgment subject to overall direction or guidance
- Ability to travel 20% of the time with a potential of up to 40% based on active project
Education & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Engineering or related technical area
- MBA preferred
- 5-10 years working experience in Product Management or relevant commercial experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in B2B markets, and in particular, the chemicals industry
Knowledge, Skills & Interaction:
- Strong organizational, analytical and project management skills
- Problem-solving abilities with the ability to anticipate potential issues and suggest creative alternatives to overcome barriers
- Ability to work within and/or lead (as required) a multi-functional, global team structure and to motivate team members and peers with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to lead and manage simultaneous projects in multiple locations. Hands-on style and willingness to engage proactively up, down and across the organization and management team
- Strong presence, interpersonal communication and presentation skills including the ability to put together a visually sharp presentation to communicate ideas. Understands and can communicate the big picture while also being detail-oriented especially when presenting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook).
- Experience required with an ERP system. SAP would be a plus.
- Persistent, determined, and driven. Has a penchant to move obstacles rather than get stuck by them
- Ability to work in ‘the grey’ and be self-directed, and can navigate through change/uncertainty without losing sight of achieving success
- Embodies the Vertellus Core Values:
- Accountability: Takes ownership and holds themselves and others accountable
- Deliver Results: Takes personal responsibility for performance and business results
- Bias for Action: Plays to win and gets the job done
- Integrity: Acts ethically, with integrity to act and do in the right way
If you have the energy, drive, and passion for joining the Vertellus team, we would love to hear from you. Apply today!
Vertellus offers competitive total compensation packages, including benefits such as medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k), disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, paid time off, and paid holidays.
Vertellus is a global Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability status, genetic information, or any other protected category.
BusinessView all jobs at Vertellus Specialties