Coastal Engineer - Resilience and Climate Adaptation
Versar seeks a mid-level Coastal Engineer to join a growing and dynamic program that is assisting our clients assess, plan and design sustainable approaches to help address issues related to climate-related hazards and enhance resilience through adaptation. An ideal candidate will have an understanding of the principles and practices of coastal engineering, coastal hydrodynamics, wave theory, and sediment transport models; and have experience developing and managing cost-effective, ecologically focused structural and nature-based solutions to coastal management challenges including coastal engineering, coastal flood risk and adaptive design.
This position will require performing coastal engineering design and modeling, preparing plans and reports; reviewing designs and drafting work; planning, scheduling and coordinating construction services, interacting with climate resilience managers and subject matter experts, and supporting coastal resilience market research and project capture. Projects, which will vary in type, scale, and complexity, but will be focused and support development of climate adaptation alternatives, resilience planning, and structural and ecologically focused restoration and resilience projects for a diverse client-base including federal, state, local, and municipal governments. This position will report to the Columbia, MD or Newport News, VA office location.
- Supporting vulnerability assessments and developing coastal hazard data through modeling
- Leading assessments, planning efforts, engineered designs, and implementation of climate adaptation efforts (e.g., coastal resilience)
- Conducting analysis and modeling of coastal processes such as currents, waves, storm surge, sediment transport, morphology, and wave current structure interaction
- Recommending best practices and mitigation measures
- Preparing of technical planning documents and reports
- Developing assessments, planning solutions, and specifications for adaptation measures including, but not limited to structural approaches, green infrastructure, flood mitigation, climate resilience, and ecological stream restoration projects
- Performing engineering analysis, preliminary, and detail design of coastal protection and restoration projects
- Providing technical advice and communication to clients.
- Ensuring that all scheduled project deliverables are produced on time and at the highest quality standards
- Effectively communicating with clients, regulatory agencies, and public
- Assist in proactively identifying potential problems with projects and aiding in developing mitigation strategies
- Coordinating and working constructively with interdisciplinary teams that may be as diverse as ecologists, GIS specialists, restoration professionals, climate modellers, and archaeologists to generate solutions and complete deliverables
- Managing outside subconsultant activities and deliverables as required
- Proactively tracking, monitoring, and managing program/project progress, financials, schedules, and deliverables.
Marketing, Public Representation, and Client Development
- Contributes ideas and recommendations to strategic plans
- General awareness and understanding of coastal resilience policy and legal landscape, particularly at intersection with climate
- Developing, managing, and maintaining client relationships
- Identifying business opportunities, developing scopes of work and effective proposals
- Establishing and maintaining industry connections and developing strategic partnerships
- Attending and presenting at trade shows, conferences, and seminars
- Maintaining professional visibility by actively participating in professional organizations
- 4+ years of related consulting, program management, or project management/implementation experience conducting resilience and climate adaptation services
- Demonstrated technical leadership and project management experience
- Experience creating a positive work environment for multi-disciplinary assessment, planning, design, and implementation teams
- Experience permitting and coordinating with coastal resource agencies
- Experienced in hard and soft structure coastal engineering design such as sea dikes, seawalls. breakwaters, streambank stabilization, beach nourishment, marsh creation, and living shorelines.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with colleagues and clients
- Working closely with multiple stakeholders to assess and perform vulnerability assessments and resilience planning actions
Preferred Experience/Capabilities; or What will make you stand out?:
- Experience working with local communities and organizations on projects
- Experience working with state and local governments on projects
- Experience working with Department of Defense on projects
- Bachelor of Science degree in coastal, civil, and/or ocean engineering; Master of Science degree preferred with focus on coastal hazards and/or modeling
- Current registration as Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) required
Versar, Inc.Columbia, MD
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.