The Information Technology Services Department (ITSD) works with every Ventura County department/agency to provide the necessary technology infrastructure and consulting/contracting services to meet ongoing and emerging business needs, including project management, business process improvement, applications support, voice/data infrastructure, data security, threat and vulnerability/risk management, and extended staffing.
Under direct supervision, the Information Systems Program Analyst (ISPA) develops procedures, writes, tests, implements, and maintains application programs in support of Ventura County Enterprise Services Division.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor's degree or higher in Information Systems, Computer Science, or a related field; along with two (2) or more years of application maintenance and data manipulation in support of a Financial Management ERP solution, as well as a working knowledge of and experience in the basic methods and techniques used in the analysis, development and implementation of business solutions. The abilities to analyze complex procedures/data and develop logical conclusions, develop plans and achieve objectives, prepare system and program documentation to department standards, communicate effectively orally and in writing and maintain effective working relationships with others are also highly desired.
EDUCATIONAL INCENTIVE: Some positions may be eligible for educational incentive. This incentive may be 2.5%, 3.5% or 5% for incumbents in eligible positions based on completion of an Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree that is not required by the classification.
Information Systems Programmer Analyst is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Local 721 and is eligible for overtime compensation.
The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill present and future Regular, Temporary, Fixed-term, Intermittent, or Extra Help vacancies for this position only.Thereis currently one (1)Regular, Full-time vacancy within theInformation Technology Services Department.
OPENING DATE: 5/4/2020
FIRST REVIEW:A first review of applications is anticipated to occur on or around 5/18/2020 and subsequent reviews may be conducted until sufficient applications are received to meet business needs.May include but are not limited to the following tasks under direct supervision:
- Heavily involved in the ongoing maintenance of established computer programs and systems, to include first level support of resolution of system problems;
- Codes, tests, and refines computer programs; sets up operations procedures, documentation, and production schedules;
- Provides a high level of customer service including being responsive, effectively communicating, following instructions and maintaining positive working relationships;
- Assists in analyzing and coordinating project development and system maintenance requirements with users, and operations staff;
- Maintains proper file systems to ensure integrity of the data;
- Performs other related duties as required.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, and EXPERIENCE: At least two (2) years of current application support experience which has led to the acquisition of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Possession or the ability to obtain and maintaina valid California driver license prior to date of hire;
- Excellent written communication skills must be demonstrated in the completion of the employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
- Recent experience with two of the following technologiesor programming languagesis required:
- Java EE
- Windows Server
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Information Systems, Computer Science, or a related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
Thorough knowledge of:
- The following Programming language(s) and Technologies:
- Windows Server,
- Java EE,
- Application support techniques and methodologies includingmonitoring, troubleshooting, analysis, and implementation of solutions.
- Basic methods and techniques used in the analysis, development, and implementation of Financial Management ERP solutions;
- Technologies to support web applications:
- Integrated Development Environment (such as Eclipse),
- SSL/TLS Certificates,
- Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT);
- Technologies to support business process automation:
- Workload Automation Software (such as Control-M),
- Data Integration Tools (such as PDI or Actian),
- Linux Shell Scripts,
- Windows Scripts.
- Analyze complex procedures/data and develop logical conclusions;
- Code, test and implement application programs;
- Prepare system and program documentation to department standard;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Maintain positive working relationships with customer departments and internal staff members.
May be required to:
- Travel within the county to conduct studies or troubleshoot;
- Work long hours to resolve production problems or meet project deadlines;
- Work nights, weekends, and holidays on an on-call basis.
To apply on-line, please refer to our web site atwww.ventura.org/jobs. If you prefer to fill out a paper application form, please call (805) 654-5129 for application materials and submit them to County of Ventura Human Resources, 800 South Victoria Avenue, L-1970, Ventura, CA 93009.
Note to Applicants:Sufficient information must be provided under the Education/Work experience portion of the application and supplemental questionnaire to thoroughly and accurately demonstrate your qualifications in order to determine eligibility.A resume may be attached to supplement your responses in the above-referenced sections; however, it may not be submitted in lieu of the application.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE - qualifying
All applicants are required to complete and submit the questionnaire for this examination AT THE TIME OF FILING. The supplemental questionnaire may be used throughout the examination process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications and acceptability for the position. Failure to complete and submit the questionnaire may result in the application being removed from consideration.
APPLICATION EVALUATION - qualifying
All applications will be reviewed to determine whether or not the stated requirements are met. Those individuals meeting the stated requirements will be invited to continue to the next step in theexamination process.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE EVALUATION:A Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E) is a structured evaluation of the job application materials submitted by a candidate, including the written responses to the supplemental questionnaire. The T&E is NOT a determination of whether the candidate meets the stated requirements; rather, the T&E is one method for determining who are the better qualified among those who have shown that they meet the stated requirements. In a T&E, applications are either scored or rank ordered according to criteria that most closely meet the business needs of the department. Candidates are typically scored/ranked in relation to one another; consequently, when the pool of candidates is exceptionally strong, many qualified candidates may receive a score or rank which is moderate or even low resulting in them not being advanced in the process.
NOTE: The selection process will likely consist of an Oral Exam, which may be preceded or replaced with the score from a Training and Experience Evaluation (T&E), contingent upon the size and quality of the candidate pool. In a typical T&E, your training and experience are evaluated in relation to the background, experience and factors identified for successful job performance during a job analysis. For this reason, it is recommended that your application materials clearly show your relevant background and specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities.It is also highly recommended that the supplemental questions within the application are completed with care and diligence. Responses such as "See Resume" or "Refer to Resume" are not acceptable and may disqualify an applicant from further evaluation.
ORAL EXAMINATION- 100%:A job-related oral examination will be conducted to evaluate and compare participating candidates' knowledge, skills, and abilities in relation to those factors which job analysis has determined to be essential for...