Fiber Optic Design Engineer
Vast Broadband Sioux Falls, SD
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Join our growing team as a Fiber Design Engineer with Vast Broadband at our Sioux Falls, SD location! This position will design, engineer, and map outside plant networks in a fiber optic or RF networks to facilitate the networks being constructed in the field. This will include both new and existing networks and the focus will be on FTTH networks. The Fiber Optic Design Engineer will also be responsible for designing the fiber optical cable sizes, fiber assignments, and optical elements in the network including hubs, both active and passive cabinets, and various splitter and/or tap outside plant architectures. RF network design will include hybrid-fiber coax outside plant networks and powering of these networks. The ability to prioritize a work schedule to ensure projects are completed in a timely manner is a must.
- Perform all responsibilities in a safe and efficient manner
- Design/Engineer/draft fiber optic and RF outside plant networks and associated elements in AutoCAD or various mapping platforms and design platforms
- Work with route Engineers to determine the best plant paths
- Fiber assignment and network resource management
- Oversee projects and interactions between both in-house and contractor design/build agents
- Create bill of materials for projects
- Support project timeline, budgets, and reporting metrics
- Assist in training activities
- Assure system security by following company procedures
- Provide superior customer service
- Complete all assignments to Vast Broadband quality standards
- Represent Vast Broadband in a competent and professional manner to all customers, associates, and outside organizations
- Maintain professional appearance and behavior at all times
- Maintain excellent attendance
- Perform plant serviceability surveys and cost estimates
- Other duties as assigned, which may include cross-functional assignments
- Must be familiar with the function of time-domain reflectometers and optical time-domain reflectometers
- Maintain and update documentation and drawings and create drawings for construction teams
- Additional duties as assigned
- Plans and prepares drawings for new construction, removal or rearrangement of existing aerial or underground lines, cable and conduits, circuit design and cutover assignments
- Ability to assess and interpret highly complicated project plans and determine scope of work.
After assessment, create list of options for recommendation to client
- Assist in research and application of new technologies and products
- Review final test results for construction and electronic projects
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management
- Ability to travel as necessary to assigned locations
- Valid Driver’s License and driving record that meets our insurance company standards is required
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Upon job offer, must be able to pass a background check and drug test
- Basic knowledge of electronics and working knowledge of the operation of a fiber optic and RF networks are required
- Computer skills are required including internet and e-mail, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, Lode Data, GIS systems, etc.
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
- Physically able to work computer equipment and test equipment
- Ability to work in environments that may have dust, dirt, noise, insects and cleaning solutions
- Ability to work safely near power lines and electrical equipment
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of telecommunications construction and engineering practices and principles
Why Vast Broadband?
- Competitive Compensation
- Excellent Benefits Package
- Vacation & Sick Pay + Personal Days
- Paid Holidays
- Employee Discounts On Vast Broadband Services – Including Internet!
- Internal Career Progression
- A Fun & Casual Atmosphere
Vast Broadband is an Equal Opportunity Employer
AddressSioux Falls, SD
TechnologyView all jobs at Vast Broadband