Senior Principal Software Engineer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Nerdy (NYSE: NRDY), the parent company of Varsity Tutors, is a leading platform for live online learning, with a mission to transform the way people learn through technology. The Company's purpose-built proprietary platform leverages technology, including AI, to connect learners of all ages to experts, delivering superior value on both sides of the network. Nerdy's comprehensive learning destination provides learning experiences across 3,000+ subjects and multiple formats—including one-on-one instruction, small group classes, large format group classes, and adaptive self-study. Nerdy's flagship business, Varsity Tutors, is one of the nation's largest platforms for live online tutoring and classes. Its solutions are available directly to students and consumers, as well as through schools and other institutions. Learn more about Nerdy at https://www.nerdy.com/. The company publicly listed on the New York Stock Exchange in September 2021.
We succeed thanks to a diverse mix of talented people who want to come, to stay, and do their best work. If you love learning, technology, and making a true impact, you're going to love working here!
About the Job:
We are looking for a Sr. Principal Engineer to help us evolve our technical vision and architecture for all of Nerdy. In this position, you will design and architect systems that cross every team at Nerdy and across every functional area. Nerdy serves many customers, including students, parents, tutors and schools. Our solutions are wide and deep at the same time. They include both the learner and tutor UX, our live learning platform where sessions take place, and the Machine Learning platform to find the best tutor for each learner, plus much more.
As the Sr. Principal Engineer you will be expected to define and drive Nerdy's overall technical vision and architecture, amplifying approaches by aligning the organization toward coherent architectural strategies. You will also architect the most complex systems at scale and possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, systems of systems, machine learning delivery pipelines and engineering best practices. Lastly, we expect you to lift the entire tech organization up, leading by example and actively mentoring the team on advanced technical issues, and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
Intellectual curiosity is essential in this role combined with big thinking and grit to deliver against your vision together with your team. If this sounds like you, apply today!
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field (advanced degree preferred) or related experience
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading transformational and large-scale projects
- 5+ years of hands-on experience as a Principal-level software engineer
- Proven track record of leading the delivery of large-scale, high-quality systems including systems of systems
- Experience working in a complex, service oriented software development and in shipping successful projects in an Agile environment
- Excellent at lifting the organization through mentoring and leading by example
- Exceptional communication skills both verbally and in writing and ability to communicate the C-level
- Tech depth and breadth
- Proven track record of making good technical decisions
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Highly organized individual
This position is a full-time remote opportunity - we've been remote-friendly for years, and that isn't going away.
- Competitive Salary plus Equity in the company
- Full remote work environment (Work anywhere in the U.S. or Canada!)
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday (for your birthday!)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members and free access to classes
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help transform how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback-rich culture
- Paid VTO ("Volunteer Time Off" to do community service/charity work)
TechnologyView all jobs at Varsity Tutors