General Manager (AI Products)
- Expired: March 13, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Varsity Tutors, a Nerdy company, is looking for a General Manager with applied AI experience to oversee the development of AI-enabled technologies as we continue our mission of transforming the way people learn. We're seeking an experienced General Manager, ideally with customer-facing and AI-applied experience, who can tackle a wide range of opportunities and problems. The General Manager will work with an AI-focused team to identify additional areas of opportunity that, in time, can augment existing ways our customers learn and the way we work internally as a company. The ideal candidate is adept at breaking down complex problems, crafting effective solutions, and working with cross-functional teams--engineering, design, marketing, sales, operations, and data science--to improve customer experience and deliver business results. Successful General Managers at Varsity Tutors have strong analytical and business acumen, are driven by intellectual curiosity and customer focus, are energized by creating order out of ambiguity, and are skilled communicators who can lead teams to see the future, then execute with excellence.
The General Manager needs to have a strong data orientation, be willing to roll up sleeves to GSD, be scrappy when needed in order to learn quickly, execute with relative autonomy, and balance this bias for action with ensuring decisions and plans are impactful and move us in the right strategic direction. We believe one of the most important functions of a General Manager is to determine which opportunities deserve to be pursued given our goals and strategic direction in AI-applied learning; clearly and compellingly communicate why , when , and how to pursue these opportunities; then work relentlessly to drive the right progress. Using customer insights, data, and information, Principal Product Managers at Varsity Tutors apply the scientific method to product development: observation - question - hypothesis and prediction - test - measure - learn - iterate.
Nerdy (NYSE: NRDY), the parent company of Varsity Tutors, is a leading platform for live online learning, with a mission to transform the way people learn through technology. The Company's purpose-built proprietary platform leverages technology, including AI ( Nerdy AI Learning Products - Press Release ), to connect learners of all ages to experts, delivering superior value on both sides of the network. Nerdy's comprehensive learning destination provides learning experiences across 3,000+ subjects and multiple formats-including one-on-one instruction, small group classes, large format group classes, on-demand study support, and adaptive self-study. Nerdy's flagship business, Varsity Tutors, is one of the nation's largest platforms for live online tutoring and classes. Its solutions are available directly to students and consumers, as well as through schools and other institutions. Learn more about Nerdy at https://www.nerdy.com/.
- Use data and information, both qualitative and quantitative, to analyze and deeply understand customer and business needs in a given area
- Drive product vision, strategy, technical requirements, and ultimately deliver on desired timelines
- Apply AI-enhanced functionality to our learning products and services in innovative and creative ways
- Build requirements and backlog and continuously prioritize to ensure we're addressing the right problems and opportunities at the right time with the right level of fidelity (MVP vs scaled solution)
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to build, test, measure, and drive results, including engineering, data science, design, marketing, sales, operations, and executive leadership
- Drive adoption of features or products, including thoughtfully building in growth loops and partnering with marketing as appropriate.
- Execute autonomously against business and team objectives. Be willing to roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
- Proactively define and track project or program success metrics that ladder to output metrics, set targets, and inspect and measure, and adjust as appropriate as new information is available.
- Plan, write, and lead periodic business reviews with business partners and leadership team
- Evaluate new product opportunities (both buy and build solutions) and bring forward proposals and influence to expand product and business capabilities
- Conduct competitive research and analysis
- Act as a thought leader within a domain and represent what customers need and where the market is going. Tell this story compellingly to bring others along, and make decisions that positively impact company growth and drive continuous improvement
- Be strong/excellent at the following skills: communication (written and verbal), listening (customers, teammates, etc.), organization and sequencing, storytelling/evangelizing, strategic thinking, critical thinking and analysis, leadership, sufficient technical skills to work effectively with engineering, problem solving, and discernment/judgment (when to pay attention to new information, when to have conviction or be flexible, etc.). Strong customer instincts and good design sensibility.
- All Leadership Principles apply, though none more than "relentless focus on customers" and "deliver results" (which is very different from "delivering solutions").
- Bachelor's Degree, MBA preferred. Computer science, mathematics, economics, etc type of background is a plus.
- 8+ years of product management and/or business leadership experience, preferably in managing an entire development cycle (conception through launch)
- Superior analytical and quantitative skills; experience getting and using data and metrics to test theories, confirm assumptions, and measure success
- Experience applying AI-functionality to customer-facing technologies and products
- Self-starter with a strong bias for action and the ability to drive results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable with a fast-paced, ambiguous environment and the ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
- Proven ability to identify, analyze, and solve ambiguous problems with high attention to detail
- Experience with agile and working closely with designers and engineers to drive feature definition and implementation
- Excellent collaboration skills that enable you to earn trust at all levels.
- SQL proficiency preferred
Varsity Tutors Leadership Principles
Relentless Focus on Customers * Comfort with Ambiguity * Ownership * Simplify * Intellectual Curiosity * Build Teams * Think Big * Insist on High Standards * Bias for Action * Build Trust * Go Deep * Have Conviction * Deliver Results * Are Right, a Lot
- Competitive Salary plus Equity in the company
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Maternity, Paternal, and Adoption Leave
- Remote Position
- Flexible PTO
- Free Learning Membership for you and your household (1-1 tutoring hours, unlimited use of on-demand services, and access to our online classes)
- Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help transform how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback-rich culture
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
RetailView all jobs at Varsity Tutors
Get fresh Tutoring Manager jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.