Software Development Manager, Senior
- Posted: over a month ago
This is a 100% fully remote role. Work virtually from anywhere in the Continental U.S.
Varis is a well-funded and fast-growing technology startup that focuses on digital commerce software-as-a-service and procurement and is owned by The ODP Corporation (NASDAQ: ODP). We are innovation driven, customer centric, and ready to transform eProcurement and business-to-business (B2B) Marketplaces. Our culture is focused on a bold vision, launching the simplest (yet still valuable) solutions to learn, then either failing or scaling fast as we iterate towards our product goals.
Joining us now is a ground-floor opportunity to shape our limitless future. You will see and feel the direct impact of your work, be surrounded by passionate people, learn how to be an entrepreneur, and be at the center of a highly dynamic business model with tremendous individual and collective potential.
Job ID: 10043
As a Sr. Software Development Manager, you will own defining and delivering innovative B2B e-commerce products, partnering with business and technical teams to create and sustain complex products. You will apply your deep knowledge of B2B and technology trends to shape the vision of the product and deliver features that will meet customer needs and grow sales.
As part of this role, you will coordinate across many internal and external teams. You will need to clearly articulate and describe the product features to the developers, QA, and UX/UI designers in our agile team as well as the different business partners, comfortably pivoting between business, operations and technology teams.
- Responsible for all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle for a fast-paced agile development team, leveraging amazing technologies (Golang, Kafka, Microservices, Azure, AKS, etc.) to deliver continuous enhancements for a massively scalable, high-performance, B2B e-commerce platform.
- Work together with Product Managers, UX Designers & Researchers, Technical Architects, Business owners, and testing teams.
- Assess the business and organization implications of key application technology alternatives for wide-impact initiatives; Mapping requirements to a software solution in accordance with the overall architecture of the system; recommend appropriate strategic action.
- Guide the development team in overall application technology design activities; Grow the development team in terms of knowledge and understanding of the systems and best practices in software development practices.
- Work closely with business partners and customers to understand their needs and provide appropriate solutions. Responsible for project estimation and put together execution plans.
- Manage and develop the team, including hiring, goal setting, performance management, coaching, projects, and training. Work with team members to develop career paths and opportunities within the organization. Foster growth and skill acquisition/development for the team leads. Provide a creative environment where challenges are embraced and where difficult tasks are valued.
- Manage project timelines and budget, responsible for application/system, including scopes, timelines, dependencies, and deliverables; Assign work to resources and responsible for the allocation and movement of resources from project to project. Work with the team in the follow-up of the execution of the project.
- Participate in technical design review meetings held across different time zones.
- Be the point person for escalations and serve as the domain expert of the application/system. This is essential for on-call situations and escalations, as well as knowing the functionality and constraints of the system when defining product specifications.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science
- 3+ years in software engineering management roles (managing people)
- 5+ years previous experience in hands-on software engineering design and development
- Demonstrated history of managing software development teams, especially managing e-commerce projects and using new technologies based on business needs
- Strong technical design skills: use of UML, patterns, OOA/OOD
- Experience developing in the cloud with AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud services.
- Experience with the software development lifecycle using Agile practices and tools such as Confluence and JIRA
- Prior track record in building software development teams
- Exceptional business case analysis, planning, project management, and presentation skills
- Ability to innovate, think creatively, does not feel shy in exploring new innovative ideas and approaches. Open to trial and error.
- Persuade/influence team members, sell ideas effectively, get results, and follow through
- Strong decision-making skills, and an understanding of where projects fit into the development strategy
- Demonstrate integrity and maturity, and a constructive approach to challenges
- Operate independently given direction, set direction, and bring ideas and solutions to issues raised
- Works well in a team environment or individually, with a positive attitude
- Superior communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Comfortable working in an ambiguous environment
The Base Salary Range: $105.800 - $155,000, depending on the candidate's location/region and experience
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this classification and are not intended to be a complete list of all required responsibilities and skills. Other duties and special projects may be assigned per business needs. Job descriptions are subject to change at any time with or without notice.Benefits and Perks
- 100% permanent remote work in the United States
- Medical / dental / vision, AD&D, and Life Insurance
- Paid Time Offer (PTO) and company paid holidays
- Health Saving Account (HSA)
- Long Term Disability and Short-Term Disability
- 401(k) matching program
- Discounted auto, home, and pet insurance
- Retirement savings plan rollovers
- Banking services
- Military leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Regular pay for funeral/memorial service observance
- Discounts on Office Depot/Microsoft/Apple products and services
- Opportunity for professional growth and career advancement
Varis is wholly owned by The ODP Corporation, which is the legal employer of Varis associates.
The ODP Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities in all employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, age, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in alignment with the City & County of San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
CCPA disclosure notice here.
Varis - US
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?