Department: Behavioral Health
Position: Medical Assistant - Special Programs
Employee Category: Non-Exempt
Reporting Relationship: Director of Behavioral Health
Dependability- Fulfilling what I consented to do, even if it means unexpected sacrifice.
Discretion- Recognizing and avoiding words, actions, and attitudes that could bring undesirable consequences.
Flexibility- Willingness to change plans or ideas without getting upset.
Initiative- Recognizing and doing what needs to be done before I am asked to do it.
Responsibility- Knowing and doing what is expected of me.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
The Medical Assistant assists their assigned Providers with patient examinations, pre-visit questions, treatments and procedures as directed by the Provider, while maintaining an efficient flow of patients through the clinic.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets and welcomes patients. Escorts patient to the appropriate location for pre-examination information gathering.
- Inquires about any self-referrals, recent ER visits or hospitalizations and requests reports from appropriate sources, documenting all information in the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Accurately measures and records patient specific information: height, weight, respiration, pulse, blood pressure, temperature, pulse oximetry (Sp02) and head circumference as appropriate. Accurately records all measurements and information gathered in patient’s EMR.
- Documents patient’s stated chief complaint in EMR. Transcribes for the Provider as directed.
- Administers medications and injections under provider’s directions and documents in EMR.
- Reviews and completes assigned Telephone Encounters within the EMR in a timely manner.
- Complete refill requests at Providers request and direction
- Answers simple patient questions over the telephone and documents in EMR.
- Obtains patient’s signature for the Prescription (RX) Use Agreement at the initial appointment.
- Updates patient information and makes necessary changes in the EMR.
- Schedule patient’s appointments in the EMR following procedures. .
- Assists, communicates, and translates for behavioral health patients.
- Provide back-up coverage to the Behavioral Health Administrative Specialist.
- Administers immunizations under Provider’s direction, including providing Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) and follow-up. Updates vaccine information in Oklahoma State Immunization Information System (OSIIS) and patient’s EMR accurately.
- Prepares and restocks supplies in each examination room(s) daily and swiftly prepares rooms for subsequent patients.
- Assists Providers in physical exams and procedures as directed.
- Participates in training programs to improve patient care, such as learning and practicing evidence based practice approaches to care.
- Proactively addresses the needs of patients and families in the health center.
- Considers cultural sensitivity and utilizes effective communication skills.
- Disposes of contaminated items in accordance to Variety Care policy.
- Follows “Universal Precautions” for safety regulations; uses appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as task on hand requires.
- Follows the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines and VARIETY CARE policies and procedures as they relate to privacy and confidentiality.
- Complies with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommendations for the workplace.
- Coordinates with referral clerks to arrange referrals outside of Variety Care, as requested by the provider. Advises patient accordingly and answers simple questions regarding the referral.
- Communicates with community organizations, health plans, facilities and specialists to obtain test and referral results. Responsible for quickly conveying high priority results to Provider.
- Assists with medical emergencies as directed by Provider.
- Supports plan of care and patient education in line with provider’s recommendations.
- Supports Variety Care’s accreditation as a Patient Centered Medical Home and our commitment to provide care to all Variety patients that is Safe, Effective, Patient Centered, Timely, Efficient, and Equitable. Provides leadership and work with all staff to achieve the goals of the “Triple Aim” of healthcare reform—to improve the experience of care, improve health outcomes, and decrease healthcare costs
- Embodies the strength of personal character. Places value on being an open and honest communicator who displays high moral and ethical conduct, integrity, adaptability, and sound judgment. Result-oriented problem solver who is responsible and accountable.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements, Special Skills or Knowledge:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Medical Assistant Certificate or LPN License preferred. Previous experience in a medical assistant role may be considered in lieu of a certificate/license.
- Demonstrates ability to obtain and record accurate information.
- Demonstrates, to the satisfaction of the Medical Director, an ability to perform the injections, instrumentation or lab procedures as directed.
- Ability to use or willing to learn electronic medical records software.
- Possesses intermediate computer skills including data entry and typing.
- Able to communicate with the patient population.
- Able to maintain confidentiality with information.
- Able to work in a multi-faceted, fast paced environment.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) language is REQUIRED.
- Previous practice experience is preferred.
- Able to lift at least 25 pounds.
- Able to assist patients on to and off of exam table when asked or directed.