Administrative Assistant III (School of Nursing) (Job Number: 1901093)
The Administrative Assistant III is part of the Center for Research Development and Scholarship in the School of Nursing at Vanderbilt University and is a key individual contributor responsible for perform administrative duties of a complex and confidential nature in support of Research Faculty in the Center for Research Development and Scholarship. This position requires a great attention to detail, strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to multi-task. Reporting directly to the Principal Investigator, the Administrative Assistant III is required to work well independently or on a team, and have flexibility.
The Administrative Assistant III will assist faculty with manuscript preparation, presentations, grant proposals, CV and Dossier submissions, and travel. Additionally, this position will provide support to faculty in their research endeavors through various software systems.
With a history dating back to 1908, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing has a long-standing reputation for excellence in nursing, teaching, practice, informatics and research. The school offers graduate level education in the Masters of Science in Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice and the Doctor of Philosophy (degree awarded through the Graduate School). VUSN is a community that welcomes staff, students, faculty and colleagues from many different professional and personal backgrounds. The vast diversity of thought and experience you will find here will not only enrich your work environment, it will also serve as a valuable foundation as you seek and fulfill your professional goals.
Center for Research Development and Scholarship (CRDS)
Our research mission is to transform the discipline of nursing through research, practice and partnerships. To contribute to the social advancement and health of Tennessee, the nation, and the world.
The Center for Research Development and Scholarship (CRDS) at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing achieves its mission by fostering a scholarly environment and offering services relevant to our researchers while considering the future directions and needs of science and other resources within the VU system. It works closely to compliment the services provided by VUMC VICTR. Among the current CRDS services available to faculty and postdoctoral fellows:
- Assistance with Institutional Review Board Applications
- Brown bags and seminars on topics of interest
- Circulation of funding opportunities and bulletins about research policy
- Database development and management
- Research Faculty travel
- Grant preparation and support
- Instrument development
- Literature searches
- Manuscript preparation
- Paper and poster preparation
- Peer reviews and critiques
- Recognition of scholarly achievements
- Research assistants
- Research supply purchase and procurement
- Statistical consultation
Assist faculty with manuscript preparation and submission:
- Format content and references according to journal-specific guidelines using EndNote and Microsoft Word and PowerPoint programs.
- Use PubMed and other online search engines to find and verify references.
- Use EndNote to create/manage libraries and format citations/bibliographies.
- Ensure publications from NIH-supported projects are compliant with the NIH Public Access Policy.
- Assist faculty with PowerPoint presentations:
- Proofing and giving editorial suggestions for visual enhancements while working within Vanderbilt guidelines regarding logos, graphics, etc.
- Assist faculty with CVs and Dossier Submissions:
- Update/maintain faculty CV.
- Assist tenure-track faculty with dossier preparation submitted for tenure review
- Assist faculty with obtaining approved travel authorizations prior to traveling.
- Book faculty travel (flight, hotel, etc.) using CONCUR travel website.
- Prepare faculty expense reports in CONCUR for reimbursement within allotted time frame.
- Order non-grant related supplies for faculty/office.
- Occasional data entry for REDCap and SPSS projects (Administrative Assistant III will receive training to use specific software programs, i.e. REDCap and SPSS.)
- Use Adobe Professional to create and edit pdf files and forms (content provided).
- Thorough and careful proof reading on all outgoing correspondence and documents.
- Familiarity with IRB Certification is strongly preferred
- At least two years of directly comparable experience is necessary.
- Three years of in a similar work environment is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Vanderbilt University is preferred.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality is necessary.
- Detail oriented and ability to take direction easily is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills are preferred.
- Willingness to take initiative to help other staff when assigned tasks are complete is preferred.
- Follow-through with assigned tasks is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and with a small team is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills is necessary
- Meticulous attention to detail and organization is necessary
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) is necessary
- Ability to work well under pressure is necessary
- Professional and pleasant attitude with considerable tact, diplomacy and judgement in interactions with faculty, staff and students is necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team setting with a diverse array of people is preferred.
- Willingness to rapidly learn new skills when the situation demands is necessary
- Resourceful and resiliency is necessary
- Ability to effectively research necessary information is necessary
- Comfortable with new technological systems and upgrades as they arise is necessary.
- Ability to prioritize and adjust timelines as needed is necessary.
- Manuscript editing experience is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with online databases and search engines is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of citation software (EndNote) is highly preferred.
Vanderbilt University offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses, and dependent children.
About Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt University, located in Nashville, Tennessee, is a top-15 private research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. Vanderbilt is situated on a 330-acre campus near the thriving city center, serving more than 12,000 students and employing almost 7,000 faculty and staff. The university's students, staff, and faculty frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. Vanderbilt was recently named as one of "America's Best Large Employers" and the top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area in 2019 (Forbes).
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Vanderbilt University is committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 19710 - Center for Research and Scholarly Development
Job: Administrative / Office Support Supervisors, Leads, and Staff
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action