Histotechnologist Core- Part-Time
- Posted: March 19, 2023
A Laboratory in the Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology is looking to hire a part-time Histotechnologist.
Prepares tissue specimens for microscopic examinations and handles the more specialized histo- and immunocyto-chemistry testing within the Dept of Anatomic Pathology under occasional guidance; maintains adequate quality control data. Processes specimens for molecular testing. Troubleshoots processes and needs. Responsible for high-volume workload and stat requests.
Welcome to the Department of Pathology, Microbiology & Immunology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. This website will give you a glance at our complex, multi-faceted department. We are proud of the cutting-edge research carried out by our faculty and trainees. The work ranges from basic science investigations in microbial pathogenesis, immunobiology and cancer biology to clinical and translational research defining the current and future practice of pathology. Our highly regarded educational programs include a highly sought after residency program in anatomic and/or clinical pathology, PhD granting graduate programs in microbe-host interactions and molecular pathology and immunology, and abundant opportunities for clinical or postdoctoral research training. We also now offer a highly innovative course for undergraduate students at Vanderbilt. Finally, we take great pride in providing state-of-the-art pathology services to the patients of Vanderbilt University Medical Center and beyond.
Hours would be Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday between the hours of 6 am and 5:30 pm. with flexibility for the ideal candidate.
View how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity - of culture, thinking, learning and leading - is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
- US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
- Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
- Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
- The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
- Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
- National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
- Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
• Completes daily workload as assigned to include embedding, cutting, staining (including histo and immunocytochemical procedures), and any specific procedures requested by pathologists to support the patient diagnosis.
• Performs and documents instrument maintenance; maintains records relating to quality control and other functions.
• Trains and provides direction/support to the Histotechnologists and Histotechnicians.
• Grossly identify tissue for adequacy in the operating room, communicate to Attending/Fellow, divide core, and place in appropriate fixatives. re Accountabilitie
- Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
- Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
- Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
- Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 1 year relevant experience
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
- Certified Histotechnologist Required
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Light Work category requiring exertion up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and uses negligible amounts of force to move objects.
- Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
- Occasional: Lifting over 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects from one level to another, includes upward pulling over 35 lbs, with help of coworkers or assistive device
- Occasional: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive device.
- Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
- Occasional: Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching or maneuvering self, patient and equipment simultaneously while working in large and small spaces
- Occasional: Climbing: Ascending or descending stairs/ramps using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
- Occasional: Kneeling:Bending legs at knees to come to rest on knee or knees.
- Occasional: Crouching/Squatting: Bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine.Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
- Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
- Frequent: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
- Frequent: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
- Frequent: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
- Frequent: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
- Frequent: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
- Frequent: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
- Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
- Frequent: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
- Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
- Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory information
- Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
- Continuous: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
- Frequent: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
- Frequent: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other contagious illnesses.
Vanderbilt Health recognizes that diversity is essential for excellence and innovation. We are committed to an inclusive environment where everyone has the chance to thrive and to the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action. EOE/AA/Women/Minority/Vets/Disabled
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
HealthcareView all jobs at Vanderbilt University Medical Center