Vanderbilt Health Clinic at Walgreens
Vanderbilt Health Clinic at Walgreens, a relationship between Vanderbilt Integrated Partners and Walgreens, provides high quality, efficient, compassionate care at 14 area locations in the metro area. The clinic’s scope of practice includes patients aged 2 years or older with common retail clinic conditions, carefully selected patient follow-ups from the emergency department and hospital and some chronic disease management. The goal of the clinics is not just to provide excellent care but also to be engaged in the surrounding communities by promoting wellness and healthy living.
Your primary role as a Medical Assistant with Vanderbilt Health Clinics at Walgreens will be to provide a great first interaction with patients. You will be responsible for checking patients into clinic, gathering patient data and managing good clinic flow. You will be in charge of making sure the rooms are clean for patients and that supplies are present. You will be working closely with the Advanced Practice Clinician in performing office examinations and assisting patient and family education. You will also be ensuring good patient care by scheduling follow-up appointments and testing.
Key Functions and Expectations
- Uses current technology to pull patients expeditiously from waiting rooms to exam areas.
- Proactively communicates delays to patients.
- Demonstrates on-stage behavior in all setting visible to patients and visitors.
- Proactively identifies patient/visitor needs and takes steps to assist.
Planning and Managing Care
- Gathers screening and other data for the health care team.
- Demonstrates individual and team accountability by meeting basic patient/family needs:
- Accompanies patients/families to exam rooms
- Assists with collecting specimens
- Prepares patients for examination
- Works with provider to maintain efficient, effective clinic flow; checks schedules and organizes patient flow.
- Assists provider with routine office procedures.
Fulfills clerical responsibilities:
- Maintains patient charts and other patient care documents
- Schedules appointments
- Handles physician correspondence
- Communicates patient needs to provider through accurate use of electronic medical record messages.
- Ensures cleanliness of exam room equipment, instruments; orders and distributes supplies.
- Assists in maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Distributes patient family education material as directed by clinical staff.
- Facilitates identification of resources to meet patient healthcare needs.
- Directs patient/family calls; responds to patient messages.
- Responds to patient questions/concerns/problems; refers to immediate supervisor, clinical staff or provider.
Communication and Collaboration
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Coordinates clinic flow to optimize efficiencies.
- Uses electronic medical record effectively.
Education: Graduation from an approved Medical Assistant’s Program
Experience: Preferred 6 months of patient care experience
Certification: Not required, but will be expected to complete within 12 months of hire at no cost to you. Endorsed organizations include: American Medical Technologists (AMT), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), National Health Career Association (NHA) and National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP).
Vanderbilt Integrated Partners is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.