Government Proposal Writer Sought for North Side Chicago Firm
Niche Chicago consulting firm seeks to grow its practice in the oversight of education, human services, and criminal justice grants programs. To that end, firm seeks writer to develop proposals for highly complex government engagements. Additional duties include deployment of webinar notices, white papers, surveys, and articles. Position is full-time and on-site in Chicago’s Uptown area after COVID restrictions are lifted and remote until that time. Successful candidate must have deep familiarity with federal and state government contracting as well as impeccable writing and organizational skills. Familiarity with sales and marketing software a plus. Salary is dependent on experience.
Position consists of four parts, as follows:
Part 1: Proposal Writing
Writer would be responsible for responding to 7 to 10 full proposals a year in the area of grants oversight. Depending on success, this number may grow. Proposal writing duties include, but are not limited to:
· Undergo training on company’s vision, mission, deliverables, benefits, branding guidelines, target client characteristics, and sales opportunity organization protocols.
· Review and upgrade company’s proposal writing templates and function.
· Review and upgrade company’s grant-writing training manual.
· Interact with HR Manager to create searchable list of staff capabilities.
· Advise on bid/no-bid decisions.
· Develop proposal framework and assign tasks internally to SMEs, finance, and office manager.
· Complete proposals and ensure that they meet all specifications, are delivered on time, and are error free.
· Arrange and participate in proposal post-mortems.
· Ensure that firm’s certifications for proposals are up to date and that government web site postings about the firm are accurate. (Another individual handles this process, but oversight is welcomed.)
· Submit questions to prospective clients during Q&A phase of RFP process.
· Related tasks, as needed.
Part 2: Opportunity Identification
· Review RFPs and lists of oversight reports daily. Identify proposals for company consideration.
· Manage company’s GSA schedule and reporting.
· Review reports about grants programs facing challenges.
· Following file organization protocols, preserve in secured folders information about prospective clients and their programs.
· File active opportunities and archive inactive opportunities.
· Other activities, as needed.
Part 3: National Campaign
· Develop new and organize existing lists of prospective clients.
· Create folders and research material for high-target prospects.
· Deploy through SurveyMonkey or a related tool a survey to prospective clients.
· Invite clients to one or more grants oversight webinars, currently under development.
· Send out an occasional article or white paper to prospective clients.
· Interact with and support CEO or other individual who will be conducting sales calls.
Part 4: Infrastructure Development
On occasion and particularly for new projects, the writer may be asked to support program development functions such as editing internal manuals and writing of simple project web sites, prototypes of which are already created.
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Writing, Business Writing, Technical Writing, or related field such as proofreading.
· 3+ years of experience writing or contributing to proposals.
Experience in writing federal and state proposals.
· Strong writing skills and the ability to communicate clearly in writing without clerical, spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors. Applicants will be required to undergo one or more writing tests prior to being engaged or hired.
· Meticulous attention to detail.
· Highly conscientious attitude, committed work ethic, and palpable sense of self-efficacy.
Advanced skills with Microsoft Word and Excel
Strong presentation skills