ValidaTek, Inc. is an award-winning Small Business that provides high-security mission-critical IT services to the Federal Government. Our commitment to excellence in service delivery has resulted in dramatic growth and an expanding client base that includes several U.S. Federal Departments. The corporate infrastructure is robust and based on industry best practices as evidenced by our DCAA Approved accounting system, ISO 9001:2015, ISO 20000-1:2011, and ISO 27001:2013 certifications, and CMMI Level 5 for Services (CMMI-SVC Level 5) and CMMI Level 5 for Development (CMMI-DEV Level 5) appraisals. We pride ourselves in being the best and only attracting and retaining the best talent to fuel our rapid growth. We promote a strong employee-focused corporate culture that provides a diverse, prosperous and rewarding place to work. We provide our employees with competitive benefits, educational assistance, and career growth opportunities. Every employee is valued for their contributions and we all take pride in helping our customers achieve their goals, which in turn contributes to the overall success of the company.
Part of a team of Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) supporting the operations and maintenance of large scale and world-wide Enterprise IT environment covering application hosting and support; enterprise services; and infrastructure services. This candidate will serve as a Senior RedHat/Linux Engineer for the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Office of Consular Systems and Technology.
The role of SRE is a highly technical role, and requires systematic understanding of all components of a modern web application stack, including front-end, networking, and systems level knowledge. Ideally, you are energized by learning current cloud technologies and are eager to jump into mapping out proposals on a white board as well as jumping into day-to-day monitoring and technical work. We aren't risk averse and have healthy dialogue where we pick each other's brains and challenge each other. At the end of the day, we take care to learn from our mistakes and feel confident that we understand needs and address them in a sensible, holistic fashion. Together, we'll drive towards the most efficient, modern and smartly built systems that maximizes automation and the power of new technologies.
The ideal candidate for this team will possess a system engineering background with a strong Linux skillset. Additionally, candidates will have experience with one or more of the following:
- Puppet infrastructure and module writing (preferred)
- Software development, preferred in Python or Ruby
- Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- VMWare virtualization and automation
- Red Hat Satellite and Identity Management (preferred)
- Container technologies such as Docker, and PaaS products such as OpenShift
- Monitoring with experience in white box and black box monitoring
- Work with internal teams and clients to ensure systems are effectively integrated, configured, managed and supported in pre-production and production
- Implement system and application monitoring for custom requirements and application uptime with the intent of maximizing platform reliability
- Troubleshoot and analyze system issues, delving into hardware, networks, application, and storage/DB layers as needed
- Participate in lifecycle management lifecycle management of the Linux OS platform and applications including Puppet, Red Hat Satellite, Red Hat Cloudforms, and OpenShift as well as future applications. Install and support in-house, open-source, and 3rd party applications throughout the technology stack
- Treat configuration as code - manage, design, deploy, and test system operations
- Continuously identify and develop automation tools to eliminate manual tasks to reduce errors
- Deploy software in a repeatable and documented way; capture and maintain documentation of specifications, process, systems, and procedures
- Practice continuous improvement by Identifying and removing single points of failure or unnecessary redundancies
- Install and configure system services, with a focus on automation and repeatability
- Proactive, professional and collaborative client communication
- Provide peer support to other SREs and the client
Education and Certifications
- BS in Computer Science preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Active Secret Clearance (Eligible for TS Clearance)
- ITIL v3 Foundation (Required within 90 days of hire)
- Certification such as: Puppet, Jenkins or DevOps preferred
Knowledge and Experience
- 8 or more years’ experience working in Linux environments
- Experience with large distributed environments
- 3 or more years supporting production web sites or online applications
- Excellent troubleshooting skills with the ability to dive deep into all aspects of the stack to identify and fix problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Hands on experience with Enterprise Applications
- Hands on experience with Virtualization Technology such as VMWare and Splunk preferred
- Exposure to scrum/agile practices preferred
- Experience with automation/configuration management using Puppet (preferred), Chef, Ansible, or an equivalent
Applicants who are selected for employment will be required to verify authorization to work in the United States.