The US Department of Defense Center for Excellence in Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance (CFE-DM) is based in Honolulu, Hawaii with a global mission to build crisis response capacity in U.S. and partner militaries, enhance coordination and collaboration with civilian and foreign partners, and strengthen those relationships to save lives and alleviate human suffering before, during, and after humanitarian crises. CFE-DM delivers operationally relevant Disaster Management Humanitarian Assistance (DMHA) and Civil-Military Coordination expertise, training, education, analysis, research and information sharing to the Joint Force and provides the critical linkage to civilian and foreign humanitarian assistance operators and disaster management stakeholders. This Position will primarily focus on the production of Disaster Management Reference Handbooks for select Asia-Pacific countries in the USINDOPACOM areas of responsibility. The handbooks offer readers an operational understanding of a nation's disaster management capability and vulnerability, with detailed information on demographics, hazards, government structure, regional and international assistance, infrastructure, laws and guidelines, risks and vulnerabilities; and other areas vital to a comprehensive disaster management knowledge base. The applicant will also be able to assist in creating products to include after action reports, case studies, as well as other CFE-DM contributions to the disaster management community of knowledge. The impact of these products provides best practices and lessons learned for advancement in response coordination.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Research, analyze, and integrate open-source information pertaining to DMHA for specific countries in the Indo-Pacific Region with other team members to create content for Disaster Management Reference Country Handbooks.
- Supports the quality control process by ensuring that documents adhere to client-specific style and content requirements.
- Perform copy editing on various products (i.e., corrects errors of format, grammar, syntax, spelling, and style).
- Assesses and revises text for logical flow, clarity, conciseness, completeness, and consistency.
- Liaison with subject matter experts in the field and check that both internal and client comments have been incorporated and addressed.
- Assist in capturing lessons learned and best practices from real-world operations.
- Assist with creating or editing other various reports such as after-action reports, case studies, requests for information, etc.
- Work with academic institutions to assist in the development of original and academic research on international disaster management and international organizations to enhance existing information exchanges and products, improving information dissemination.
- Provide expertise in the development of collaborative plans to include data management and information sharing in support of HADR.
- Conduct highly professional communications with international organizations and stakeholders.
- Support development of training curriculum to meet identified training gaps/requirements.
- Provide humanitarian assistance and civil-military coordination planning and operational support during real-world crises including natural and complex emergencies.
- Understand, monitor, and remain current on geo-political developments impacting humanitarian crises globally, with a major focus on the Indo-Pacific region.
- Participate in relevant international or local conferences and exercises.
- Create PowerPoint briefs and/or presentations on various DMHA products and information and present them to various civil-military audiences.
- Support cross-branch CFE-DM initiatives and projects as required.
- Travel may be required (<20%)
Take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of yourself and other persons who may be affected by your actions or omissions.
Conform to all Safety Instructions given by those with a higher responsibility for Health and Safety.
Report all hazards, potential hazards or dangerous situations, including damaged or mislaid personal protective equipment to your Supervisor or Safety Representative.
Report Environmental impacts, anything that results in a change to the Environment as a result of Valiant's activities, products or services.
Participate in the achievement of Valiant's QHSE objectives and targets, both those at departmental and company level.
INTEGRITY - Honesty, Trust and Respect in every situation.
EXCELLENCE - Performance, Effectiveness, Quality, and Safety in everything we do.
INNOVATION - Embracing new ideas and best practice in every service that we provide.
Valiant Integrated Services is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
NOTICE: Valiant Integrated Services NEVER asks job applicants to issue any payment or service fees to Valiant or its recruiters as part of our application process. Before providing any personal information to outside parties, verify that the job you are applying for appears on our Careers site.
Valiant Integrated Services
Why Work Here?
Awesome, growing company with lots of opportunity