The Manager Supplier Development will be the voice of the supply chain to ensure designs are created that meet design for manufacturability and design for cost constraints and are aligned with supplier capability and technology. In this highly visible role, they will act as a key technical leader for components and evaluate production capability, supplier qualification, process and component qualification, technical roadmaps and reliability plans. They will identify areas of quality improvement for suppliers, develop methods and tools to monitor the improvement and will work with cross functional teams to conceive and implement programs of strategic importance to Valcor’s product quality roadmaps. The scope of this role also encompasses strategic initiatives and activities to support continuous improvement and lean methodologies.
- Work closely with cross functional teams, including product development, design engineering, program management and production to identify design constraints and make improvements to ensure design requirements are achievable within the supply base capabilities.
- Work closely with cross functional teams to identify and mitigate supplier quality and schedule risks.
- Act as a liaison with suppliers and interdisciplinary functions with respect to quality and design issues.
- Lead reviews of requirements, processes and product held at supplier facilities.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills to influence design decisions and supplier selection.
- Work with Supplier Quality to audit production processes, raw materials, and or sub tier suppliers to ensure that established quality standards are met.
- Conduct root cause analysis for defects, non-conformities, or other quality and schedule issues that occur within the supply base.
- Work with Supplier Quality to identify and evaluate suppliers for inclusion onto Approved Supplier Lists.
- Identify and institute improvement plans for suppliers utilizing lean tools and principles.
- Exhibit excellent business judgment required to work effectively to resolve supplier issues.
- Manage suppliers from design initiation through product qualification.
- Support purchasing in negotiations of cost, lead times and delivery terms for development and production hardware.
- Manage the make/buy decision process.
- Identify and lead the implementation of preferred supplier LTA’s to support the company’s long term vision.
- Manage supplier scorecards and perform Business Reviews with suppliers.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, relevant Engineering Degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years component and quality experience with focus on Machining or metals and plastics, Welding, Electromechanical assemblies, Plating , Heat Treating, Passivation
- Knowledge in lean manufacturing techniques such as; value stream mapping, kaizen, Kanban, supplier managed inventories, 5S, cycle times, single piece manufacturing flow and six sigma
- Six Sigma Blackbelt or Greenbelt a plus
- Knowledge of the industry standards such as ISO 9001 and AS 9100D.
- Experience with the ASME code for the Nuclear industry is highly desirable
- Experience in defining, executing, and continuously improving component qualification/certification/audit specifications and criteria
- Possess a strong quality background
- Good GD&T Knowledge is required
- MS Office, ERP experience a plus
REQUIRED INTERPERSONAL & BEHAVIORAL SKILLS:
- High level of customer service and collaboration skills
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships, both internally and externally, while maintaining a client service orientation
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to execute on and implement strategic initiatives
- 25% Travel