Senior Manager of Data Science (Remote)
- Posted: over a month ago
As a leading mountain resort operator with over 40 resorts in sixteen states and four countries. We exist to create an Experience of a Lifetime for our employees, so they can, in turn, provide and Experience of a Lifetime for our guests. We are looking for leaders, innovators, creators, and ambitious professionals to join our talented team. If you’re ready to pursue your fullest potential, we want to get to know you!
Many of our Corporate function teams can now live and work in any of the states in which Vail Resorts currently operates* – enabling flexible remote work alongside a commitment to building and maintaining strong culture both in person and virtually. If you’re ready to pursue your fullest potential, we want to get to know you. Find your purpose with us at www.vailresortscareers.com.
Vail Resorts is looking to hire a technical leader for our Data Science team at Vail Resorts. This Sr. Manager of Data Science will be central in delivering against the technical vision Data Science team. The Data Science and Data Engineering team is a highly visible and works on projects with direct support of the CEO, CMO and the Executive Committee. The team works with our industry leading guest database and is continuing to push the limits of what’s possible with emerging technologies and methodologies. As we continue to grow, our objectives are to deliver increased performance of our existing portfolio of in-market models, granularity of algorithmic decision making, and scalability of solutions across our core lines of business.
As the Sr. Manager of Data Science, you will be responsible for leading Data Science talent and projects through delivery across the enterprise. The solutions the team develops cover a wide range of technical complexity in both design and implementation – from real time delivery of model output to guest facing and internal applications, to predictions and recommendations that inform personalization and strategic initiatives.
Why this role is special:
- Vail Resorts is an incredibly fast-growing company at the forefront of the Travel and Tourism industry – redefining the ski industry in the 21st century
- Leveraging analytics is a core pillar of Vail Resorts’ strategy moving forward – a critical driver of our success leading to a strong willingness to invest
- We are a data-driven business with a proprietary guest database unmatched by any other company in the industry – a great foundation for building out analytic use cases
- The opportunity to lead our Data Science capabilities to the next level – we are leading the adoption of data and cloud technologies to continue to enhance our impact
- Direct exposure to senior leaders of the business (CEO, CMO, broader Executive team) – a unique opportunity to team with our business leadership to reimagine analytics
- Lead through best practice and mentorship across the team
- Own the collection of requirements and development of data-driven solutions across the company
- Represent the data science organization as a technical expert and collaborator in cross-functional technology and data initiatives
- Contribute to a culture of ambition, problem solving, and continue to evolve the technical proficiencies of the team
- Present data and technical output that enables stakeholders to make informed and data driven decisions
- Drive and support a culture of technical progression through both performance and usability of developed solutions
- Be Inquisitive and have an eye for identifying areas where data science can deliver efficiency and increased sophistication
- At least 5+ years of experience leading technical projects and project teams
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Statistics, Electrical Engineering etc.)
- Expertise in developing and deploying machine learning algorithms and pipelines
- Expertise across a variety of DS/ML solutions and the ability to concisely communicate and prioritize against tradeoffs of different architectures or methodologies
- Expertise extracting data for use in DS/ML solutions from a variety of SQL based platforms
- Demonstrated experience leading engineering and development of large scale data/data science centered modelling leveraging cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Extensive development experience in at least one programming language (Python, Java, etc.)
- Exemplary project management skills and proficiency with collaboration and project tools like Jira
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, high performing group with several ongoing concurrent projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent presentation skills
- Strong learning agility. Enjoys and excels in environments with new and increasingly complex strategic business challenges and issues—incorporating the newest ideas, technologies, and approaches to business.
- A brave, ambitious, and passionate technical leader while also demonstrating a high level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
The budgeted range starts at $125,500 - $156,900 + annual bonus. Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience.
The perks include a free ski pass, and a set of benefits including...
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, and a 401(k) retirement plan
- Hourly employees are generally eligible for accrued Paid Time Off (PTO), Extra Time Off (ETO) and Sick Time. Salaried employees are generally eligible for Flexible Time Off (FTO)
- Paid Parental Leave for eligible mothers and fathers
- Healthcare & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life, AD&D, and disability insurance
Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. At Vail Resorts, our team is made whole by the brave, passionate individuals who ambitiously push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
*Remote work is currently permitted from British Columbia and the 16 U.S. states in which we currently operate. This includes: California, Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Utah, Vermont, Washington State, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. Please note that the ability to work remotely, and the particulars related to such work, are subject to change at any time; and, accordingly, the Company reserves the right to change its policies and/or require in-person/in-office work at any time in its sole discretion.
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 397631
TechnologyView all jobs at Vail Resorts
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?