Hardware Engineer - 6000
Job Location - Vandenberg AFB, California
Position Type - Full-Time/Regular
· Designs, develops, modifies, evaluates and implements new and existing hardware systems. Supports lead engineers with the technical aspects of a project and the supporting multi- disciplined project team.
· Researches, designs, develops, modifies, and implements complex, new and/or existing capabilities for support hardware systems.
· Supports complex Level 1, 2, and 3 testing to qualify hardware systems for Range operations.
· Plans, conducts, and assists in the execution of engineering projects.
· Develops, recommends, and implements design approaches for products and/or processes.
· Coordinates the efforts of technical support personnel for assigned projects.
· Analyzes, develops, recommends and implements approaches to meet requirements.
· Reviews literature, patents and current practices to support business requirements and/or new industry technology.
· Prepares reports regarding new technology to communicate to appropriate personnel.
· Evaluates component suppliers and vendor capabilities.
· Develops an understanding of Range Instrumentation systems, to include data networks, telemetry processing systems, RF transmitters, receivers, antennas and control systems.
· Assists Depot with problematic repairs of Line Replaceable Units (LRU’s).
· Ability to effectively communicate technical issues verbally and through written media such as graphical slides and verbal presentations to contract management and customers.
· Ability to read and understand wire diagrams, schematics and mechanical drawings.
· Strong analytical, troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
· Strong organizational and time management skills to balance, plan, prioritize, and execute projects.
· Good human relations and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work within a dynamic, fast paced environment with time constraints.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (or other technical major in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math.)
· Zero or more years of experience in a related technical field.
· Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite.
· One or more of the following basic qualifications are required to support the Engineering Functional Areas (Telemetry, RF, Radar, IT Networks, Communications Systems, Servo Systems and Weather).
· General knowledge of analog signals and design principals.
· Familiarization with digital interface design to include familiarization with interface modules, cable/wire types and connector systems.
· Fundamental knowledge of hardware systems integration and testing.
· General knowledge of Ethernet switches and network protocols.
· Hands-on experience in troubleshooting electronic systems and circuits.
· General knowledge of telemetry receiving and processing systems.
· General knowledge of weather monitoring systems desired.
· Fundamental knowledge in technical writing for development of technical reports (White Papers) and other technical support documentation.
· Familiarization with computer systems including single-board (SBCs), servers, and workstations.
· Familiarization with the Linux and Windows Operating systems.
· Experience in designing and implementing micro-controllers for instrumentation
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
· The flexibility to work occasional non-duty hours or on weekends to support specific project or mission requirements
· Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Security Clearance, which includes U.S. citizenship or U.S. naturalization
· Valid U.S. Driver’s License required
VETS is an EEO Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.
VETS is a Department of Veterans Affairs, Center for Veterans Enterprise (CVE) certified Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB). Based in Tysons Corner, Virginia, VETS has a Southwest operations office in Tucson, Arizona and contract management sites throughout the United States. VETS supports a growing number of U.S. Government defense and civilian agencies with technology, systems engineering, as well as construction and program management support services.