Job Title: ELS Environmental Scientist I
Location: Austin, TX
Duration: 1 year contract
Shift: Monday - Thursday; 6:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- At an entry level, assists in collecting a variety of environmental samples and conducting environmental monitoring using proper sampling techniques and methodology.
- Assists in maintaining and operating environmental monitoring stations which include complex environmental sampling and monitoring equipment.
- Assists in identifying biological samples such as aquatic invertebrates, fish, algae and other vegetation.
- Conducts stormwater monitoring and sample collection, conducts flora and fauna identification and/or collection, monitors flow and/or water quality and collects soil, water and waste samples.
- Maintains compliance with EPA-regulated protocol and methodology for collection of field data and samples and field monitoring.
- The position will be performing field water quality sampling involving a lot of driving on mostly day trips to remote areas with limited overnight stays.
- Some weekend/after hours work to collect stormwater samples will be required.
- Sixteen or more college semester credit hours in biology or chemistry and four or more years of experience in environmental sampling and monitoring.
- An Associate's or Bachelor's degree(s) in chemistry, biology, microbiology, environmental science, physical sciences or engineering may be substituted for certain years of experience.
- A Master's or Doctoral degree(s) in the above disciplines may each be substituted for one year of experience.
- If candidate has a current Class D Water Operators License, that would be a plus.
- Knowledge of chain-of-custody procedures, sample preservation procedures, sample holding times, sample quantities and sample storage requirements.
- Knowledge of multi-parameter probes
- Knowledge of aquatic macroinvertebrates
- Knowledge of identification freshwater fish species (specifically in Texas) and aquatic/benthic invertebrates
- Knowledge of global positioning system (GPS) techniques-