- Posted: over a month ago
Assists in the organization and daily function of the operating room in accordance with established federal, state and accreditation standards and facility policies and procedures. Assists in overseeing patient care activities in the operating room and maintains a high standard of safety for the patient and other staff members. Sign on bonus.
- Education/Experience/Licenses/Certificates/Eligibility:Current California RN license, BLS and ACLS required, PALS preferred. Two (2) years experience as an operating room nurse required. IV skills preferred.
- Eligibility:All employees must be able to provide proof of their identity and their right to work in the United States.
- OR experience required and Urology.
- Pediatricexperience preferred
- Interpersonal:Maintains active professional relationships with physicians and patients by assessing needs and levels of satisfaction with facility services. Effective communication skills: oral and written. Above average organizational skills. Demonstrates a positive, friendly and courteous manner. Serves as a role model to other staff nurses and technicians. Assists in the orientation and training of new employees.
- Critical Thinking:Above average ability to plan and implement patient care. Ability to make sound nursing judgment based on nursing theory. Awareness of perioperative role of nurse in the operating room. Medical records documentation is legible, concise and accurate. Ability to organize equipment, instruments, medication and supplies for cases according to patient needs and physician preference cards. Assumes responsibility for competency and takes initiative for professional development and continuing education.
- Knowledge:Working knowledge and experience in hospital or ambulatory surgical center operating room. Ability to adhere to work schedule and manage time appropriately. Ability to utilize resources in a timely, organized and cost effective manner. Ability to circulate and scrub all types of cases preferred. Monitors stock levels, outdated supplies and equipment needs and reports appropriately.
- Machines, Equipment, Work Aides:Telephone and fax. Standard operating room machinery, equipment, autoclaves, washer sterilizer, and patient monitors.
- Physical Demands / Work Environment:* See the Physical Demand Analysis form for information specific to this position. Essential Competencies / Performance Expectations:*
- Clinical Skills**
- Assesses patient/significant others understanding of disease process and need for surgical intervention.
- Performs perioperative teaching to patient/significant other.
- Demonstrates appropriate nursing management and intervention in the perioperative period.
- Performs preoperative patient assessment, reviews surgeon preference card, assesses equipment/supply needs, prepares operating room, ensures availability of needed supplies and equipment and proper and safe working order.
- Provides safe medication administration.
- Manipulates patient position appropriate to surgical intervention, using positioning aids as needed to avoid impaired circulation, respiration and postoperative pain/discomfort.
- Performs surgical prep per standard of care and surgeon preference.
- Handles and documents specimens per policy.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in caring for the latex sensitive patient.
- Performs sponge, sharps and instrument counts per protocol.
- Initiates corrective actions when surgical counts are incorrect.
- Assures emergency equipment and supplies are available at all times.
- Keeps surgical suites clean, tidy, free of soiled equipment and supplies, and properly stocked.
- Uses principles of asepsis in varying situations.
- Initiates corrective action when breaks in technique occur.
- Wears appropriate attire in restricted area.
- Adheres to recommended traffic patterns.
- Equipment Management**
- Demonstrates appropriate protocol for safe use and handling of equipment
- Capable of trouble shooting equipment problems.
- Verbalizes knowledge of risks and complications.
- Reports malfunctioning equipment to appropriate personnel.
- Demonstrates awareness of protocol for malfunctioning equipment and repair.
- Provides for equipment and supplies based on patient needs
- Anticipates the need for equipment and supplies based on surgeon preference.
- Selects equipment and supplies in an organized, cost effective and timely manner.
- Assures all equipment is functioning before use and removes any malfunctioning equipment.
- Demonstrates skill in appropriate use of instruments and equipment.
- Operates mechanical, electrical, and air-powered equipment according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Uses knowledge of medical record policy and procedure.
- Participates in medical records QAPI.
- Listens respectfully, gives feedback directly, honestly and talks with others to clarify differences.
- Utilizes translation services when needed.
- Utilizes appropriate services when needed to communicate with employees and patients with speech and hearing disorders.
- Effectively communicates and interacts with patients, their family, and other external and internal clients (including fellow employees) from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrates a willingness to look at new ideas and work in a changing environment.
- Understands, verbalizes and participates in the quality improvement process.
- Supports initiatives designed to improve individual and organizational performance.
- Provides appropriate patient care across the age span.
- Identifies and reports suspected child, spousal/partner, and elder abuse per protocol
Urology Associates Of Central California Medical Group Inc
HealthcareView all jobs at Urology Associates Of Central California Medical Group Inc