- $28 Hourly
JOB POSITION: Veterinary Assistant
Reports To: Back of House Manager
The veterinary assistant is the veterinarian’s primary medical support. They aid the veterinarians in achieving greater efficiency by relieving them of technical work and administrative detail. They have a very significant role in communicating with and education clients about their pets.
QUALIFICATION & POSITION REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
· High school diploma or equivalent
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· Minimum two years experience as assistant.
· Minimum age of 18 years.
· Genuinely enjoys working with animals and able to deal with them even when they are stressed, ill or in pain.
· Can stay calm and efficient during a medical crisis.
· Is well spoken and approaches his/her job duties in a mature nature.
· Has experience working in a team environment and works well with all levels of hospital team members.
· Has excellent client communication skills.
· Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying animals (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 40 lbs). Walks or stands for extended periods or time; frequently works in a bent position.
· Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
Patient and Client Care
· Provides compassionate care to patients and clients.
· Conducts oneself in a confident and professional manner even when stressed and/or focused on individual tasks.
· Can perform physical assessments, record observations legibly in files or computer.
· Can effectively restrain pets even when large or difficult.
· Is able to administer SQ and IM injections correctly.
· Admits patients following hospital policy and doctors written orders.
· Understands all common vaccinations and vaccination protocols and is able to communicate to clients when needed.
· Understands common disease states and can alert veterinarians when symptoms change or when concerns arise with hospitalized patients.
· Understands usage and common side effects for commonly used prescription drugs and can readily explain them to the clients.
· Is able to perform emergency procedures such as control of bleeding, resuscitation with oxygen, opening airways, and external cardiac massage.
· Is comfortable and knowledgeable when handling client’s medical questions with confidence and direct to veterinarians when appropriate.
· Is able to explain necessary follow-up and homecare instructions to clients.
· Properly cares for all surgical materials; keeps the operating room properly stocked and prepared for surgery.
· Radiographs - can effectively position patients and process.
· Keeps accurate medical records in accordance hospital policy.
· Prepares and maintains treatment areas.
· Understands the importance of a clean and orderly facility, does not hesitate to clean or organize as part of a normal job duty.
· Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other team members and employees.
WAGES AND BENEFITS
Urban Animal offers a starting range for this position is $20.00 per hour to $28.00 per hour.
Benefits are outlined below and are separate from the hourly wage.
Urban Animal Benefits
At Urban Animal we value our employees and offer a competitive compensation package that includes plenty of benefits, plus a culture that nurtures, celebrates and rewards your contributions. Below are just some of the benefits Urban Animal offers.
· Health insurance including vision, with 85% of monthly benefit paid by Urban Animal.
· Dental Insurance with 85% of monthly benefit paid by Urban Animal.
· Paid Time Off (PTO) – 120 hours per year, available to use as accrued.
· Paid Holidays (Applicable if falls on your normally scheduled shift)
o New Years Day (Jan 1st)
o Memorial Day
o Independence Day (July 4th)
o Labor Day
o Christmas Day
· Discount on medical services/products for up to 4 personal pets.
· Friend/Family discount of 25% for up to 4 pets.
Select benefits available to part‐time team members. This summary is not a guarantee of benefits, and all plans are subject to change. Any errors and/or omissions are unintentional.
Urban AnimalSeattle, WA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.