Upstream USA is a fast-growing, national nonprofit working to expand opportunity by reducing unplanned pregnancy across the U.S. Upstream partners with states to provide training and technical assistance to health centers, increasing equitable access to the full range of contraceptive options. Our transformative approach empowers patients to decide when and if they want to become pregnant, a critical step towards improving outcomes for parents and children.
Upstream is growing rapidly and is on track to achieve nationwide impact. After launching our first statewide initiative in Delaware in 2014, we have since launched projects in Washington state, Massachusetts, North Carolina and Rhode Island. By 2023, Upstream will have partnered with health centers that serve over one million women of reproductive age annually across these states.
Upstream is funded primarily through philanthropic individuals and foundations, and does not accept funding from pharmaceutical companies. Upstream's budget has grown from $1.7 million just four years ago to approximately $48 million in 2020. Upstream's work has also garnered attention from many leading publications including The New York Times , Washington Post , The Atlantic , CNN , Vox , Forbes , and Marie Claire .
Many women in Rhode Island still lack same-day access to all forms of birth control. Our Rhode island team works in communities across the state, partnering with health centers to improve contraceptive access, helping more Rhode Islanders determine their own reproductive goals.
The Program Coordinator supports Upstream's contraceptive quality improvement program at health care agencies by providing critical project management, training and event coordination, and logistical support to the Implementation Advisor. The Program Coordinator serves on a team dedicated to supporting Rhode Island-based healthcare agencies as they implement Upstream's technical assistance components.
The Program Coordinator reports to the Implementation Advisor. This is a fixed term position of approximately 2 years, corresponding to the planned duration of the statewide initiative and relevant implementation activities for the role's scope of work.
The position is currently working remotely, but may transition to in-person coordination as deemed safe and reasonable. In the event that in-person work resumes during the project timeline, travel within Rhode Island will be required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Serve as the coordinator of Program activities on behalf of the Implementation Advisor, and as an integrator of information. Key responsibilities include:
- Assist Implementation Advisor in tracking site progress and project financials
- Regularly monitor and update the project plan and develop timely status reports in consultation with Implementation Advisor
- Enter data in CRM (Salesforce) in a timely manner to ensure agency-wide transparency of progress and benchmarks
Meeting, Training, and Event Coordination
- Develop agendas and presentation materials for agency meetings
- Schedule, attend, and take meeting minutes for Program meetings with external partners and internal team and leaders
- Coordinate and schedule activities at health centers, including appreciation/recognition events, staff and clinician lunch meetings (e.g., Lunch and Learn), etc.
- Partner with remote-based Training Team to ensure logistics for virtual workshops are equipped with technical equipment, audio/visual needs have been prepared for, and on-site logistics are seamlessly coordinated with external agencies
- Track attendance and training completion status for each agency using Salesforce
- Send reminders about date, location and staffing for each event, training, or program activity
- When in-person travel is permitted, coordinate travel arrangements as needed
Technical Assistance Support
- With guidance from Implementation Advisor, assess tools and resources needed for sites and support health facility staff to implement them
- Order and deliver additional contraception education materials to health centers
- Research community resources and identify local pharmaceutical representatives, as needed, to assist health centers with stocking necessary supplies and birth control methods
- Coordinate across agencies, the Implementation Advisor, and marketing team staff to manage the creation, printing, and delivery of custom design materials to health centers, as needed
- Provide virtual site support for Implementation Advisor and, as permitted, in-person
- Accept ownership for accomplishing ad hoc or special project requests as needed throughout the agency implementation
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability :
The ideal candidate will be...
- Passionate about access to reproductive healthcare and increasing that access to services across populations
- Adaptable and flexible; willing to take calculated risks and quickly learn from challenges and pitfalls
- Adept at engaging with a variety of stakeholders, including front-line healthcare workers, leadership staff, and internal/external remote teams
- Motivated self-starter who works well independently, seeks out new projects, and willing to request assistance/clarity when needed
- Ability to effectively coordinate multiple tasks and activities concurrently and prioritize accordingly
- Extremely well organized and detail-oriented, consistently follows up on outstanding projects and closes the loop with task owners
- Meets stated project coordination expectations on-time and with quality
- Works well within teams and will take the lead or follow direction as circumstances require
- Acclimates quickly to new challenges and changes in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- Eager to learn, reflect, and integrate feedback into daily work
- Must demonstrate top-notch internal and external customer service at all times, including prompt and professional verbal and written communication
- Willingness to pilot ideas, test new theories, and adopt or discard processes for continuous improvement
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant training, program activities or events management experience, or commensurate experience
- Experience supporting a manager or other project supervisor in meeting management and scheduling
- Proficiency with development of materials related to above activities, such as instructions, handouts, meeting agendas, and slide decks
- Exposure to project management activities such as status reporting, risk and issue reporting, and information processing for data entry
- Proficiency in G Suite, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and quick learner of new software/programs
If and when in-person activities resume
- Physical activity, including: maneuvering in small spaces, prolonged standing, repetitive bending, and lifting up to 40 lbs
- Ability to travel to health centers regularly within the assigned geographic region
Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Experience with Salesforce or other client relationship management/database product
- Knowledge and experience in health care settings and/or reproductive health
- Knowledge of quality improvement and service model change, implementation, and maintenance
At Upstream, we embrace diversity. We nurture it and we thrive on it because it benefits our organization, our partners, and our community. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain exceptional people, and to create a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Upstream is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Learn more about working at Upstream , our values , and our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion . Upstream USA participates in E-Verify.
Upstream Headquarters : 426 17 th St, Suite #200, Oakland, CA 94612
No phone calls please.