Upland Brewing in Columbus, IN is looking for one front of house manager to join our strong team. We are located on 148 Lindsey St.. Our ideal candidate is attentive, ambitious, and engaged.
Upland Pump House Front of House Manager
As a Front of House Manager, you are primarily responsible and accountable for physical, technical, and overall execution of all daily Front of House Operations with a focus on staff management. The role is an extension of the General Manager and will work in consultation with the General Manager, other Front of House Managers and Executive Chef to further deliver on our mission of exceptional customer service of fresh, locally sourced foods and Upland’s award-winning beers.
Key goals: Execute our goal to give top-notch, beer-knowledgeable service by holding staff accountable to expectations and education; maintain a close knit, professional, and engaged staff; maximize efficiency & profitability of our FOH operations by assisting the GM to refine, create, implement and adhere to systems and procedures for optimal operations, and to recruit, train, and motivate staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
Front-of-House Staff Management
● Accomplish Company Human Resource Objectives: partake in interviews and training new employees; lead by example and provide managerial oversight to reduce staff stress; manage staff expectations and attitudes; provide restaurant GM with job reviews; enforce policies and procedures and diligently discipline employees; aid in the evolution of training checklists and weekly/monthly duties.
● Staff Training & Education: assist GM to develop and maintain comprehensive staff training on beer, menu, wine/liquor, and customer service expectations; complete employee skill and knowledge reviews before training completion or position advancement; constructively coach staff with subpar performance.
● Focus on Accountability: communicate job expectations; enforce policies and procedures; report any violations to GM; log all verbal corrections; foster teamwork; monitor staff daily and weekly duties; hold yourself and team accountable to developed and implemented systems, to defined roles and duties, and to maintaining a positive attitude.
● Control Costs: monitor beer waste; monitor staff beer, wine, and food consumption; proper charging for all beer and food by staff; monitor proper use of discounts and comps.
● Improve Staff Communication: effectively communicate company vision to all staff members, effectively handle internal conflict with negotiation skills; understand how to communicate with a variety of different people; communicate effectively all site specials, promotions, policy changes, and company events, local happenings, and beer releases; aid in the evolution and upkeep of all printed staff materials like exchange/sub-lists, beer bibles, etc.
● Reduce Employee Turnover: assist GM with the development of an employee retention program; ensure FOH staff make adequate tips by honing staffing levels; develop a reward/recognition program for staff that meet or exceed expectations; properly train and then retrain staff when needed; provide explicit and fair feedback for managerial or staffing decisions; organize staff outings.
● Exhibit and enforce customer-service standards; organize, delegate and lead shifts to ensure the best customer service experience; evaluate productivity; be chief host personality on the floor (chat with customers, befriend regulars); resolve customer problems; provide support to staff; maintain customer friendly ambiance by controlling lighting, background music, and thermostat; understand how community events affect business level and be informed of current events; decide when to cut based on restaurant business.
● Identify procedural improvements and communicate to GM for implementation.
● Coordinate with GM on seasonal cleanings; address all facility maintenance including patio, beer line cleaning; communicate maintenance issues with the GM; understand high priority issues and complete maintenance tasks in a timely manner.
● Communicate inventory needs including glassware, dinnerware, and utensil quality and replacement
● Assist with administrative tasks including, but not limited to, inventory, ordering, scheduling, organizing and passing out tip-outs, staff scheduling assistance, attending and contributing to manager meetings, returning emails and phone calls, and random project completion. Attend and contribute to monthly shift manager meetings.
● Have a thorough understanding of the brewing process, our everyday beers, our seasonal and experimental styles of beers and sours. Assist with planning and execution of ongoing beer education.
● Have a thorough understanding of our menu and philosophy of food.
● Develop a working knowledge of POS system and draught system.
● Maintain safe, secure, and healthy environment by establishing, following, and enforcing sanitation standards and procedures; obtain ServSafe Certification.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
● 3+ years customer service experience
● 1 year in a management role at a high-volume restaurant
● A passion for craft beer and enthusiasm for creating an exceptional customer experience
● A strong work ethic aligned with and supportive of a high-growth organization
● A personal framework that is ethical, credible, and optimistic
● Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize and multi-task in a changing work environment to work effectively and efficiently.
● Works well under pressure, both alone and with a team, while maintaining a positive attitude in high-stress situations
● Thinks critically and has strong problem-solving skills, along with the confidence and ability, to make sound business decisions in times of uncertainty
● Able to effectively communicate, both verbally and written, to staff members with diverse personalities
● Leads others through positive encouragement as well as draw a hard line when necessary to hold others responsible for shared commitments
● Has a clean as you go mentality
● Maintains a professional attitude and appearance
● Has knowledge and experience with POS systems
● Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel (Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop a plus)
● Has ability to work varied shifts, including nights and weekends, with flexibility in schedule
● Possesses a valid Driver’s License and has reliable transportation
● Has the deep desire to be a part of a killer company with a kick-ass team that is on the verge of major growth
Permit and Certification Requirements
● Indiana ATC Employee Permit
● Indiana ATC Server Training Certificate of Completion
● Certified ServSafe Food Manager
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to be on feet, standing or walking/moving briskly, for several hours at a time. The employee is required to bend, squat, crawl, kneel, push, pull, and lift kegs (with help) stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to work hours that exceed 10 PM. The employee must occasionally lift or move a minimum of 20 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
We are looking forward to hearing from you.
Available shifts and compensation: We have available shifts all days of the week. Compensation depends on your experience.
About Upland Brewing : Upland Brewing in Columbus, IN is looking for support staff to join our strong team. Our ideal candidate is a self-starter, motivated, and hard-working.
By applying to this job, you agree to receive periodic text messages from this employer and Homebase about your pending job application. Opt out anytime. Msg & data rates may apply.
Powered by Homebase. Free employee scheduling, time clock and hiring tools.