The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Undergraduate Peer Tutor (Various Subjects).
This posting is for student positions for Spring 2020 and forward.
The UNT Dallas peer tutors offer tutorial assistance in various tutoring subjects (statistics, science, etc.) to students who need supplemental academic support outside of the classroom. The Peer Tutor serves as an important staff/team member of the Learning Commons. He/she works under the supervision of the Learning Commons Program Manager and Administrative Coordinator, and works closely with faculty in the appropriate discipline.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing tutoring to students in open lab/self-paced settings including clarification of course assignments, lectures, and tests.
- Working with students individually or in small groups to select and use resource material and/or lab equipment appropriately.
- Maintaining records of students tutored.
- Attend and complete mandatory trainings.
- Creating resources for students such as handouts, videos, podcasts, etc.
- Assisting coordinator with special assignments, projects, and events.
- Assisting students with signing in to the Learning Commons, encouraging students to be prepared for their tutoring sessions, and completing surveys.
- Directing the daily in-and-out flow of students in the Learning Commons
- Keeping tutoring areas clean, organized, and decorated.
- Following appropriate safety procedures and security measures related to work performed.
- Assisting with additional duties as needed, such as exam preparation, covering front desk, answering phones, organizing materials, scheduling appointments, etc.
- Assist Learning Commons staff with data reports.
Currently enrolled University student in good standing and making satisfactory progress toward completion of a degree or certification program. Applicants must possess the following:
- Excellent customer service skills, as well as effective oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office computer applications (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Some knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and follow oral and written instructions accurately.
- Good interpersonal skills and ease in relating to people from varying educational, cultural and social backgrounds.
- Responsible, reliable and punctual.
- Ability to learn assigned tasks readily, to adhere to prescribed routines, and to develop some skill in the operation of common office equipment.
- Must be a currently enrolled university student making satisfactory progress toward completion of a degree program.
- Completed a minimum of 24 hours of course work toward a bachelor's degree (sophomore standing).
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 and demonstrate intermediate to advanced level of knowledge in tutoring subject.
- Intermediate to advanced level of knowledge in tutoring subject.
- Prior tutoring experience preferred, but not required.
- Ability to work under considerable pressure, to adjust to constant changes, to handle multiple tasks, and work with all kinds of students.
- Skill in telephone etiquette and courteous communication with public, verbally and in writing.
Ability to lift up to 15 lbs.
Ability to sit in front of a computer for extended periods of time.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Complete online application through UNT Dallas HR website: https://unt-dallas.peopleadmin.com/ and attach
- Copy of class schedule for Spring 2020 semester
- Copy of unofficial transcripts
- Must have a UNT Dallas faculty recommendation (submitted via email to Paulina Romero).
Job Title: Undergraduate Peer Tutor
Driving University Vehicle?: No
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM -7:00 PM Saturday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM Sunday: 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Substitution of Experience/Education: Yes