GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
This position is based in the Deep Sequencing Core Laboratories under the direction of the Deep Sequencing Core Laboratories Directors. We are seeking an individual to perform DNA Fragment Analysis Service activities for sample processing, quantification, and data analysis for clients.
This individual will be also responsible for operation and maintenance of advanced laboratory equipment including DNA Fragment Analyzers, as well as Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) instruments as needed.
This job requires familiarity and/or experience with basic molecular biology techniques, with emphasis on quantification and dilution methods, DNA sequencing, and data analysis. The applicant should have knowledge of personal computing applications, basic statistics and bioinformatics.
Candidates will have the ability to work independently to coordinate multiple activities and also work as part of a Core Lab support team. Candidates should be highly organized, have a high level of attention to detail, and strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in a relevant scientific field and demonstrated experience with laboratory instrumentation.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments and conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Report the status of projects and observations to the Department Chair
- Ensure departmental computer resources remain functional and provide on-site support to Investigators as requested
- Design and execute protocols and experiments, modify protocols as needed, and may be responsible for own research project
- Manage laboratory research staff
- Responsible for overall laboratory organization including oversight of safety protocols and the maintenance of related records
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Long-range planning for laboratory and departmental equipment maintenance and replacement. Assist in procurement of departmental equipment. Responsible for physical inventory of all equipment, and maintaining records of all equipment acquired, moved off-site, or discarded
- Oversee and coordinate the use of centralized departmental facilities
- Work with Facilities Engineering, Environmental Health and Safety, and Radiation Safety to ensure department facilities and laboratories are in compliance with federal, state and institutional regulations
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Oversee and assist in the training of new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 5 years of relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
- Ability to perform service activities required for sample processing, quantification, data management, and data delivery to clients
- Operate and maintain advanced laboratory equipment including DNA Fragment Analyzers and Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) instruments
- Compile and analysis data using instrument-specific software, spreadsheets, and service-specific applications
- Interpret data, trouble shoot results, form conclusions, and decide on and plan the next workflow to be done with a high degree of independence
- Work independently to coordinate multiple activities and also work as part of a Core Lab support team
- Interact and communicate with service clients, and monitor/update client service accounts.
- Maintain databases, sample archives, and service supply activities
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, maintain service accurate records and documentation using a laboratory information management system (LIMS)
- Modify operation and service protocols and be responsible for DNA Fragment Analysis account activities
- Assist with budgetary, accounting and/or operational aspects of Core functions and services
- Comply with all safety regulations and infection control standards
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
Supervise aides, technicians, and associates
Supervise and monitor service engineers and repairs of lab equipment
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens