The School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics is seeking a Secretary to provide routine administrative and clerical support to faculty and staff in the newly-created Center for Blood Oxygen Transport and Hemostasis. Work is performed under direct supervision and requires general knowledge of the organization or program where assigned. Work involves exercise of limited discretion, minor consequence of error, and operating within well-defined procedures and instructions. The mission of the Center is to explore the physiology of acquired red cell injury, the development of a novel bio-synthetic artificial red cell, and on translational transfusion medicine in the ICU setting.
UMB offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to eligible employees. This position receives an annual leave package starting with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and observed holidays, 15 sick days, and 3 personal days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development opportunities; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Formats, updates and proofreads a variety of documents from materials created by others.
- Composes and sends routine correspondence following specified procedures or selects simple form letters in response to routine inquiries.
- Sets up and maintains simple files. Assists in preparing and administering office accounts and records. Enters, updates, and retrieves information stored in files and databases.
- Opens, sorts, and routes mail.
- Receives telephone calls and visitors. Answers routine inquiries and takes messages. Relays messages and instructions from supervisor.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings and appointments. Makes travel arrangements following specific instructions and keeps travel itinerary.
- Gathers material, obtains documents and background information for reports and other purposes in accordance with specific instructions. Ensures confidentiality of information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: One year experience providing administrative support.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: $32,200 - $35,000
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.