The Executive Director of Communications will be responsible for articulating a communications strategy that will raise the visibility and profile of the Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts at the University of Houston. Reporting directly to the Associate Dean, the Executive Director will work with the Dean and College faculty and staff to facilitate the College’s efforts to build audience and make the University of Houston Campus and Houston arts communities aware of the College’s strategic objectives; its successes locally, nationally, and internationally; and its annual program of exhibitions and performances in all of the visual and performing arts disciplines. The successful candidate will be capable of managing multiple priorities of multiple clients with a wide diversity of needs, in a fast-paced office environment; will be capable of directing and evaluating effective visual communication design; will be a team player who brings a collegial, problem-solving approach to a highly complex, active, comprehensive visual and performing arts college; and will be a passionate, energetic, and tenacious professional dedicated to excellence in the arts.
Responsible for the development and coordination of internal and external communications for a large, complex college. Directs a comprehensive communications and marketing program and serves as primary media contact for local, national, and international news organizations.Job Duties
- Develops and manages a comprehensive communications and media relations program to raise the college's visibility (locally, regionally, nationally and internationally). Directs overall planning and implementation, including budget development and staff management.
- Fosters and enhances relationships with stakeholders to increase awareness of the college's vision, mission, goals and community impact. Serves as the college's primary media contact for news organizations, and advises senior administration, faculty and staff in all areas involving media and other external relations vehicles.
- Serves as primary marketing liaison for events coordinated by student organizations within the college, including lectures and symposia.
- Works with senior administrators and staff to strengthen communications links with community and governmental agencies and organizations as well as other key constituent groups.
- Builds and maintains relationships with campus and community media representatives to ensure consistent and accurate media coverage for the college. Uses partnerships to create and implement innovative marketing and communication strategies.
- Manages all electronic content for college websites. May also coordinate social media and electronic communications by alumni groups.
- Administers special events, marketing and media relations, and participates in other college advancement activities.
- Reviews, edits and authorizes copy, and oversees design work on college publications.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Bachelors and 5 years experience
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed. Requires a minimum of five (5) years of directly job-related experience.