Certified Medical Assistant
Apply nowJob no:513491
Classification:Physical Health Provider 2
Work type:Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Anchorage
School/Business unit:UAA VC Student Affairs
Categories:Health Profession, Student Affairs/Services
Position Summary:The University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA), Student Health and Counseling Center (SHCC) is seeking to employee a nationally certified CMA. This position, at 40 hours per week, and 11 months per year, allows a variety of clinic and outreach services to eligible UAA students. Using a student centered approach, within the context of a diverse healthcare team, this position is both challenging and exciting.
- assist with medical record management
- enter notes in medical record regarding vital signs, chief complaints, and lab activity
- maintain medication and immunization records; document in Medicat and VacTrAK systems
- scan State of Alaska lab results into MedicatEssential
- collect and process laboratory specimens (blood, urine, throat)
- perform waived lab tests as directed
- maintain records of lab specimens sent out to reference labs
- perform regular quality control of lab tests, temperatures
- follow principles of asepsisEssential
- maintain inventory of medical and lab supplies
- clean and autoclave sterile insturments
- clean microscope weekly
- check AED battery monthly
- maintain autoclave
- order lab and clinical suppliesEssential
- utilize time management skills, prioritizing and performing multiple tasks
- participate in general staff meetings and clinical staff meetings
- participate in outreach immunization clinic planning and execution
- chart prep noting needed immunizations for next day appointments
- communicate with Housing, COH, and Athletics regarding immunizationsEssential
- prepare and maintain treatment areas
- monitor expiration dates
- restock supplies in exam rooms
- clean exam tables weekly
- empty bio-hazard material as neededEssential
- greet patients and document vital signs (BP, orthostatic BP as indicated, P, RR, O2 sat, temp, and chief complaint
- alert health care provider that patient is ready; coordinate patient care information with providers
- prepare and administer injectable vaccines, per standing orders, or direct provider written order
- verify incoming immunization records and enter into Medicat
- immunization consultation with students regarding program requirements and their present status
- call/fax prescriptions with direction
- perform EKGs per provider order
- assist with front desk coverage as neededEssential
Skills in phlebotomy.
Familiarity with medical terminology, aseptic technique, referral procedures, medical ethics, confidentiality, and record keeping.
Basic computer skills.
Must work well in a team setting.
Excellent communication with students and staff
Typically, this position will have one or more years of experience working as a medical assistant following completion of a training program before hire at UAA.
Typical Education or Training:
Graduation from a medical assistant program. Associate degree in medical assisting (strongly preferred) or substantial experience in this field of work. National Certification is required.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three professional references.
Grade 77, nonexempt, 10 months per year, Minimum $21.59 hourly
Advertised:04 Sep 2019Alaskan Daylight Time