Communications Specialist or Manager - Flexible/Hybrid Remote
- Posted: December 07, 2022
Job Summary: The University of Alabama System is receiving applications for the position of Communications Specialist or Communications Manager. This position is based in Tuscaloosa in the University of Alabama System Office. A hybrid remote schedule will be considered after a six-month introductory period.
Reporting to the Director of System Communications, this position will develop high-impact, compelling content and will implement communications plans, activities, and tactics to support the goals of the University of Alabama System.
Note to Applicants: This job will be filled according to the qualifications of the applicant up to Communications Manager. To be considered for this role, candidates must have experience with social media management and digital communications and must submit a letter of interest along with at least two writing samples.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Advertising, Journalism or closely related field
- Advanced knowledge of various social media platforms and demonstrated understanding of digital best practices
- Knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of communications and public relations
- At least two (2) years of relevant experience (Student or Graduate Assistant, Intern, or student-oriented experience will be considered)
- Experience with social media management and digital communications
- Exceptional writing skills and ability to develop engaging content
- Strong communication and research capabilities
- Creative and strategic thinking skills, including the ability to evaluate analytics to assess effectiveness of communications tactics
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities while meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, cooperatively and strategically across various functions, levels and departments
- Visual communications skills, including graphic design, video and photography, and experience working with tools such as Canva or Adobe Creative Suite
Responsibilities Include but are not Limited to the Following
- Help develop and execute social media strategy, ensuring alignment with the UA System's Core Principles and the comprehensive communications strategy
- Manage UA System social media channels (LinkedIn and Twitter), including routine monitoring and responses to inquires
- Develop strategies to increase engagement, reach, and promote overall brand awareness across channels
- Assist with planning, creation, management, and monitoring of UA System websites
- Create compelling content including external messages, social media posts, web copy and graphics
- Assist with developing and implementing external and internal communications plans and activities
- Monitor industry news and trends to identify relevant opportunities and refine strategies
Salary is commensurate with skill level and years of experience of applicant. The University of Alabama System offers a valuable and comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental and vision insurance; generous vacation, personal, sick and holiday leave; access to matching contributions in a 403(b) supplemental retirement plan; a tuition assistance program for employees, their spouse and eligible dependents; and life insurance. For more information on the benefits package, please visit the System's Benefits webpage.
All eligible employees are required by state law to participate in the Teachers' Retirement System. This defined benefit program provides eligible, retired employees with a specific benefit payable monthly for the lifetime of the member. The value of this monthly retirement payment generally increases with each year of service. Upon service retirement, employees are also eligible to join the state's Public Education Employee Health Insurance Plan (PEEHIP).
Application Instructions: Applications (to include a letter of interest, resume, minimum of two writing samples, and contact information for three professional references) must be submitted online. To apply, please visit: https://uasystem.isolvedhire.com/jobs/
Background Investigation Statement: Prior to hiring, the final candidate(s) must successfully pass a pre-employment background investigation. A prior conviction reported as a result of the background investigation DOES NOT automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration for this position. A candidate with a prior conviction will receive an individualized review of the prior conviction before a hiring decision is made.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University of Alabama System is an equal opportunity employer (EOE), including an EOE of protected vets and individuals with disabilities.
University of Alabama System Office
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?