Assistant Director, Donor Engagement-Communications (6299U) 21364
University Development and Alumni Relations Department, UC Berkeley Berkeley, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 5, 2021
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking an Assistant Director, Donor Engagement (Communications) who will work within the department's Development unit.
The Assistant Director of Donor Engagement (Communications) requires a strong ability to manage complex communications projects and is a key member of the donor engagement team. They work to support and collaborate with all external constituents and other campus units. This professional oversees all written communications (digital and print) and ensures that Cal Athletics advancement messaging is strategically timed, cleanly edited and consistently aligned with the mission of the department of Intercollegiate Athletics. Job activities consist of leading the creation of donor proposals, collateral pieces, stewardship reports, email outreach and solicitations, event remarks and talking points, monthly newsletters, and the yearly annual report. Serves as the primary copy editor on staff and collaborates with and provides support to the Athletic Communications department when needed. This role also oversees the production of annual benefit fulfillment and stewardship publications, including the benefit guide and annual report. On behalf of the development office, and in collaboration with the marketing and communications team, this professional maintains the web presence and develops strategic outreach and communications plans throughout the year.
- Manages the creation and content for written communications including proposals, collateral, and stewardship reports and works with development officers to shape overarching communications strategy.
- Manages donor lists and supports the sending of Cal Athletics Fund department emails to external audiences-may include press releases, news articles, event invitations and solicitations. Reviews all high level communications.
- Conducts donor interviews for quarterly publications, newsletters, and website features and serves as the copy editor for department produced content.
- Coordinates mailed solicitation process including content creation, design, and approval process in partnership with UDAR.
- Leads the development and creation of the department's membership guide and comprehensive annual report.
- Acts as the liaison between the Cal Athletics Fund and the Athletic Communications team-supports them in providing and editing content and sending Cal Athletics department communications.
- Maintains the department communications calendar and works with campus colleagues to coordinate communications to constituents.
- Responsible for maintaining data integrity for all sources of information (Paciolan, CADS, etc). Continuously looks for ways to improve systems in order to increase efficiency and effectiveness of fundraising and engagement practices. Prepares reports on email and digital communications performance and engagement metrics.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience in a development office or non-profit setting.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills. Knowledge of APA style guide.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills.
- Skills and experience in project management.
- Strong analytical skills, service orientation, attention to detail, time management, ability to multitask in a high-volume environment, organizational skills; ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
- Thorough knowledge of basic concepts, principles, and procedures of building and maintaining effective relations with internal and external constituencies.
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office, with an advanced skill set in Excel.
- Experience working with databases.
- Previous experience in a college athletics development office.
- Experience with alumni and/or donor engagement, stewardship and communications processes.
- Experience with InDesign software and common desktop/web applications.
- Previous experience with Paciolan, Salesforce Marketing Cloud or similar.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable NCAA and Pac-12 Conference rules and regulations.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time, career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=21364&PostingSeq=1
University Development and Alumni Relations Department, UC Berkeley
Non ProfitView all jobs at University Development and Alumni Relations Department, UC Berkeley