Summer 2024 Nurse Student Externship Program
The George Washington University Hospital is currently accepting applications for the 2024 Summer Nurse Student Externship (Extern) Program.
DATES: May 20, 2024- August 23, 2024
Our highly competitive paid externship program, runs from late May through early August and is designed to enhance your academic and professional experience. Throughout the summer, the Student Nurse Extern will have hands on experience providing direct patient care under nursing supervision. Positions are offered in all specialty areas depending on availability.
Nurse Externs will collaborate with experienced RNs, who will function as a mentor, helping you develop your critical thinking skills you need to increase your confidence as a nursing professional. In addition, you will meet your learning needs and gain the best possible clinical experiences, a Nurse Educator will also provide support.
You will work a 36-40 hours per week and will have educational opportunities and shadow days incorporated into your schedule. Positive evaluations from the externship may also lead to an offer for a Graduate Nurse/Clinical Nurse position, will align with successful competition of your nursing program.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited nursing program.
- Have at least a 3.0 (out of 4.0) current, cumulative GPA.
- Be available for full-time summer employment and rotating shifts (weekend/nights/holidays).
- BSN student who has completed their junior year clinicals (previous experience as a nursing assistant desired)
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with implementing the patient’s plan of care as directed by the Registered Nurse
- Assists the Registered Nursing with implementation of the health teaching plan through the performance of routine health teaching
- Assists with transport of patients, specimens, equipment and supplies as appropriate
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality
- Collects and documents pertinent patient information following hospital policy guidelines to include, but not limited to: reinforcement of patient teaching, completion of patient tasks delegated by the Registered Nurse, vital signs, height and weight, intake and output and patient care activities
- Confers with the Registered Nurse in identifying patient needs, supporting and preparing transfer and discharge needs
- Complies with established hospital personnel policies to include, but not limited to: attending orientation, mandatory training sessions and staff meetings
- Contributes to the achievement of established department and hospital goals and objectives and adheres to department and hospital policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards; complies with governmental and accreditation regulations
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with GWUH/UHS mission, vision, values, goals, objectives and patient care philosophy
- Demonstrates effective communication and works effectively with all members of the healthcare team
- Demonstrates the appropriate level of urgency during critical situations
- Participates in multi-disciplinary quality and service improvement teams
- Reports actual and potential problems concerning patients, visitors, employees and other departments to the Registered Nurse
- Responds to questions from patients, significant others and visitors in a prompt, courteous and positive manner referring them to appropriate personnel as necessary
- Reports information and findings to the nurse, and offering suggestions for revision of the plan of care as appropriate
- Provides direct bedside care to patients as assigned, inclusive of but not limited to:
- Performs/assists with activities of daily living
- Assisting with ambulation, mobilization and rehabilitation
- Performs basic procedures as per unit/hospital policy inclusive of but not limited to:
- ostomy care
- urinary catheter insertion, removal and care
- perform 12 lead EKG
- peripheral IV insertion/care and venipuncture
- collects specimens to include blood, urine, stool and sputum
- simple dressing changes and wound care
- measure urine and drain/tube output
- Point of Care testing
- safe storage of oxygen tanks and equipment
- assist with the application, maintenance and removal of traction, casts, splints and exercise equipment
- performs other duties as assigned
About George Washington University Hospital
GW Hospital is a 385-bed tertiary care, academic medical center located in downtown Washington, DC. Featuring a Level 1 Trauma Center and a Level 3 NICU offers clinical expertise in a variety of areas including cardiac, cancer, neurosciences, women’s health, and advanced surgery including robotic and minimally invasive surgery. GW Hospital is owned and operated by Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS), a King of Prussia, PA-based company that is one of the nation's largest healthcare management companies. Primary care and specialty outpatient care are available through the Medical Faculty Associates, a multi-specialty physician practice group of more than 750 physicians covering 51 specialty and subspecialty areas. The Medical Faculty Associates' doctors have offices in the Ambulatory Care Center, an outpatient clinic building located one block from the hospital.
One of the nation’s largest and most respected hospital companies, Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS) has built an impressive record of achievement and performance. Steadily growing from a startup to an esteemed Fortune 500 corporation, UHS today has annual revenue nearing 10 billion. In 2017, UHS was recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune; ranked #276 on the Fortune 500, and listed #275 in Forbes inaugural ranking of America’s Top 500 Public Companies.
Our operating philosophy is as effective today as it was 40 years ago: Build or acquire high quality hospitals in rapidly growing markets, invest in the people and equipment needed to allow each facility to thrive, and become the leading healthcare provider in each community we serve.
Headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, UHS has more than 81,000 employees and through its subsidiaries operates more than 320 acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities and ambulatory centers in the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the United Kingdom.
*UHS is a registered trademark of UHS of Delaware, Inc., the management company for Universal Health Services, Inc. and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. Universal Health Services, Inc. is a holding company and operates through its subsidiaries including its management company, UHS of Delaware, Inc. All healthcare and management operations are conducted by subsidiaries of Universal Health Services, Inc. To the extent any reference to "UHS or UHS facilities" on this website including any statements, articles or other publications contained herein relates to our healthcare or management operations it is referring to Universal Health Services' subsidiaries including UHS of Delaware. Further, the terms "we," "us," "our" or "the company" in such context similarly refer to the operations of Universal Health Services' subsidiaries including UHS of Delaware. Any employment referenced in this website is not with Universal Health Services, Inc. but solely with one of its subsidiaries including but not limited to UHS of Delaware, Inc.
UHS is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at UHS via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of UHS. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by UHS as a result of the referral or through other means.
All UHS subsidiaries are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. UHS subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and as such, openly support and fully commit to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion and compensation of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.
At UHS and all our subsidiaries, our Human Resources departments and recruiters are here to help prospective candidates by matching skillset and experience with the best possible career path at UHS and our subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly efficient and best in class candidate experience. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. If you are suspicious of a job posting or job-related email mentioning UHS or its subsidiaries, let us know by contacting us at: https://uhs.alertline.com or 1-800-852-3449.
Universal Health Services
900 23RD STREETWashington, DC
Create or sign into a ZipRecruiter account, and then apply on the company site¹
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.