We are seeking an exceptionally talented Director, Research and Development (R&D) to join our team.
In this role you will support all areas of the R & D department. We're looking for a customer-centric leader who is passionate about skin care and cosmetic manufacturing R&D and can help us continue build our customer base across our brands. The Director of R&D will be responsible for managing the development, formulation for our personal care products. This role will be tasked with building world-class product development, validation programs and teams across our portfolio of brands and will provide technical guidance and recommendations to senior management for strategic business decisions.
- Manage the projects of new product development for Hair care, Skin care, Men care division, and OTC.
- Knowledgeable and manage the compliance of domestic or foreign Regulatory Agency relates to all above product categories
- Conduct research to develop new products, manufacturing procedures and specifications for new products
- Review and conducts stability program for new and modified products.
- Mentoring and leading —ability to assemble, build, manage and lead a team of highly skilled chemists/ Lab Tech of R&D and disciplinary capacity alongside HR.
- Provide support and training in bench top application development.
- Assist to review relevant GMP procedures
- Monitor and maintain R&D laboratory and testing equipment including purchasing of testing equipment in a cost-effective manner, conduct or arrangement equipment calibrations and preventative maintenance
- Support marketing and quality assurance/control team in dealing with technical and quality issues raised by customers
- Drive accountability, consistency, quality, and process standardization across all phases of R&D and throughout the organization.
- Formulates and recommends research and development guidelines and time lines in accordance with project objectives.
- Coordinates with other units’ control in making changes to existing product specifications or manufacturing processes; or changes due to supply chain influences. Ensures that changes follow the latest technical requirements and organizational guidelines
- Manage smooth technology transfer and scale-up of formulation to commercial scale as fits with Company strategy
- Ensure that production recipes, process parameters, the test plan and approval of the new recipe are checked.
- Evaluate and conduct measures assigned by Quality and corrective action.
- Provide technical supports to Production team for batch production as along with all small batches in the R&D lab
- Provide technical supports and sources of new novel raw materials for use in new products development.
- Work with Marketing and Sales director & discover team to identify suitable technology & exploit the opportunities
- Define technical strategy and lead R&D cross functional team (CFC) to deliver technical mix to innovation program.
- Provide early input to and work with platform leader & discover team to ensure discover program is consumer relevant.
- Work with Marketing brand team of team Hair care, Skin care, and Men care division, supply chain to deliver innovation & CIP (Customer Identification Program)
- Support Sales team of cosmetic line to deliver & exploit innovation in the market place on time
- Deliver technical design mix for Hair care, Skin care, and Men care products innovation
- Work closely within cross functional team to ensure that business objective are agreed and met.
- Effectively network with the category discover & sales team to help ensure discover program are relevant and exploited
- Shows strong raw material, formulation knowledge and science in semi solid & liquid technology for cosmetic application, particularly emulsion base cream/liquid.
- Show the performance as innovation or technology work stream leader
- Show the understanding about consumers and able to turn technical information into consumer relevant proposition.
- Show the keenness to create and operate his/her & team agenda independently.
- Design of experiments and analysis of experimental data
- Must have at least Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related
- Management experience (clearly defined in resume)
- Must have 10 plus years’ experience in formulation of personal care development
- Highly proficient with coaching, guiding and developing a team
- Strong Knowledge of scientific data such as material safety data sheet(SDS), certificate of analysis, stability testing. Compatibility testing, Microbiology testing, OTC & Compliance.
- Prefer an innovator with project management skills and the ability to multitask.
- Adaptable/flexible -- a hands-on roll up your sleeves and enjoys work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication/presentation skills needed
- Must be a good listener who can organize, trouble shoot, problem solve and pay attention to details.
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Project Management skills
- Product Development on skin/hair Care Formulation skills
- Claim development and management
- Consumer Insight and Understanding
- Coaching and Developing team
Universal Beauty Products, INC.
Why Work Here?Universal Beauty Products, Inc. successfully serves the health and personal care products markets. For over a decade, the company has been dedicated to making and bringing to the marketplace the world's finest, high quality products. Our customers, both large and small, are national as well as internationally based. More than 100, 000 square foot facility houses Universal Beauty Products research and development laboratories, sales and marketing staff, manufacturing, customer services, administration and warehouse operations. All of the company's employees are committed to producing performance proven products and services.
Growing and evolving company with great benefits and lot of room for growth!
Glendale Heights, IL