Special Education Coordinator/Education Specialist 22-23
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
SPECIAL EDUCATION COORDINATOR/EDUCATION SPECIALIST
Oakland Unity High School and Oakland Unity Middle School (Unity Schools) are seeking a Special Education Coordinator/Education Specialist for the 2022-23 school year.
For Special Education, Unity Schools serves as a local education agency (LEA) of the Sonoma County Charter SELPA pursuant to Education Code Section 47641(b). The Special Education Coordinator/Education Specialist will coordinate the delivery of all special education services including providing direct instruction to students to implement Individual Education Plans (IEP). under the supervision of the school principals at the high school and the middle school.
- Provides leadership to the student study team in identifying students with special/ exceptional needs.
- Coordinates the development of proposed assessment plans and arranges for assessment required to determine student’s eligibility, educational needs and placement.
- Coordinates IEP meetings.
- Administers and scores proficiency tests and utilizes this information in the design of the IEP.
- Develops and writes the IEP with input from team members.
- Recommends modification of the IEP as appropriate.
- Prepares and disseminates special education reports to teachers and others.
- Instructs students in their areas of need in a small group or in a period designed to instruct students in a core curricular area.
- Maintain all records of Unity SPED students. Communicates with SELPA personnel to secure special education information and records.
- Plans with regular education teachers to modify assignments that students could not otherwise perform.
- Provides teachers with examples of appropriate curriculum materials, and recommendations for the use of materials.
- Supervises, plans and coordinates the work of the instructional assistant(s).
- Selects and requisitions books, equipment, and instructional supplies; maintains an accurate inventory of equipment and materials.
- Protects the health and safety of the students supported by a safe classroom environment and an effective classroom management plan.
- Serves as the main contact with Sonoma County Charter SELPA and the San Francisco Bay Area Special Education JPA.
- Attend required SELPA and JPA meetings.
- Attend necessary staff development activities.
- Organize and provide Unity staff with ongoing professional development around serving all students’ needs.
- Submit all necessary records and reports to Sonoma County Charter SELPA.
- Maintain communication with staff from outside agencies such as Social Services, local group homes, County Office of Education, community-based programs, and other school districts.
- Appropriate, valid California credentials for an Education Specialist
- CLAD certificate or equivalent for work with English Language Learners
- Three years of successful SPED experience in working with school students
- Three years of successful experience in working with inner-city youth.
- Ability to participate in team work and shared decision-making
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Passionate in working with diverse youth, families, and community
- Proficient in technology
- Spanish language proficient (preferred)
- Salary and benefits competitive with Oakland Unified School District and other neighboring districts.
- Full health benefits (medical, dental and vision) for the employee and qualifying dependents (premium fully paid by the employer)
- Option of 403B enrollment + 3% matched 457(b) retirement saving contribution after three years’ employment.
Start Date: August 1, 2022
To Apply: Send by email: letter of intent and resume, to William Nee, Principal, Oakland Unity High School, firstname.lastname@example.org
EducationView all jobs at Unity Schools