Chief Financial Officer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Unity Health Care, Inc. is searching for a dynamic financial leader as its next Chief Financial Officer. Unity Health Care, Inc. is the largest community health center located in Washington, D.C. We are mission driven to provide quality healthcare to the residents of the District of Columbia. The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for Unity will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all finance-related activities of the organization. They will report to the President & Chief Executive Officer and participate as a key and strategic member of the Executive Leadership Team. Non-profit and healthcare experience preferred. Please see full job description below:
JOB TITLE: Chief Financial Officer
REPORTS TO: President/CEO
Under the supervision of the President/CEO, the Chief Financial Officer will direct and oversee all the financial activities of the corporation. Major responsibilities include developing and maintaining a strategic financial plan, developing and overseeing annual operating and capital budgets, financial analysis of centers, programs and service lines and to support business development, revenue management and cost accounting, ensuring compliance with regulations and grant, loan, and contract terms, preparation of financial statements including current financial reports, as well as identifying opportunities for cost containment and revenue growth.
MAJOR DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop strategies to increase cash flow – including improvements in revenue cycle management all with a target of increasing days cash on hand
- Develops short-term and long-term strategic financial plans to that support the financial sustainability and growth for the organization
- Studies long-range economic trends and projects company prospects for future growth in overall revenue and market share, and opportunities for acquisitions or expansion into new service areas. Estimates requirements for capital, land, buildings, and an increase in the work force.
- Maintains a relationship with DCPCA and DHCF to advocated for financial policies that support the sustainability of FQHCs
- Advises the CEO, Board of Directors, Senior Staff, and other organizational managers with regard to financial and strategic matters including operational efficiency, revenue opportunities, cost containment and business development
- Represents the President/CEO, when asked, and, when delegated, assures that Unity continues to comply with Federal Health Center Program Expectations and other Federal requirements, as well as its own organizational policies and procedures and directives of the CEO.
- Conducts budget development operations and activities (asset, liability, and equity planning), and recommends budget to UHC executives.
- Reviews reports to analyze projections of revenues, expenses, and surplus/deficits against actual figures, budgeted expenses against final totals, and suggests methods of improving the planning process as appropriate.
- Directs the preparation of all financial reports, including income statements, balance sheets, reports to Board, tax returns, and reports for government regulatory agencies.
- Analyzes company operations to pinpoint opportunities and areas that need to be reorganized, down-sized, or eliminated or should be strategically leveraged.
- Supports the annual auditing process and gives a statement of finances as often as required and a complete financial report, which has been audited, at annual meeting of UHC governing bodies.
- In conjunction with applicable managers, develops policies and procedures applicable to general finance, accounting, budgeting, grants management, revenue cycle management, payroll and materials management.
- Performs as Primary Liaison for external relationships with auditors, insurance broker, banker, third party payers.
- Performs necessary specific functions related to filing of annual UDS report, Medicare and Medicaid Cost Reports, and Section 330 grant filings.
- Manages permits, filings, and business inquiries, and related compliance issues for the organization to include: solicitation permits, tax, and related filings, contact with the Better Business Bureau, the IRS, and other government agencies. Advises and makes recommendations to Executive Management on all matters affecting financial control and financial policies.
- Reviews disbursement logs and specifically authorizes cash disbursements via execution of check or wire transfer.
- Supervises investment of funds; Works with banks and/or investment bankers to raise additional capital as required for expansion or to meet short term operational needs.
- Maintains relationship with approved auditors, and obtains all manner of auditing services to the advantage of the corporation and corporate operations.
- Coordinates the integration of interdepartmental and intradepartmental services
- Provides leadership, including vision and general oversight of accounting departments, budget preparation, and audit functions. Meets regularly with department heads to keep informed and to offer direction.
- Supervises and provides overall guidance to areas of Finance, Accounting, Budget & Decision Support, Revenue Cycle Management, Materials Management, and Grants Management Accounting.
- Provides regular reports to the executive management team to support transparency and engagement of senior leaders in our financial position
- Confers with Executive Management Team and division leaders to coordinate and prioritize planning.
- Acts as Staff Liaison to Board of Directors Finance Committee, presenting financial statements, key policies, audits and other critical financial consideration to support Board oversight
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in business administration, accounting, or finance preferred.
- CPA designation preferred.
- Eight (8) years of experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning with five to seven years of increasing responsibility in the healthcare environment preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of database and accounting computer application systems to supply the most accurate financial information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Understanding of billing processes in the health care field (i.e. Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance, self-pay, etc.).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.).
This position reports directly to the CEO/President.
The position abides by all rules and regulations set forth by applicable licensing and regulatory bodies, as well as UHC policies and procedures.
This position requires contact with staff at all levels throughout the organization. There are also external organizational relationships that may be part of the work of this individual.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The job requires the incumbent to be able to move easily about the health center and to and from the health center to meetings in other locations within the community or at another Unity location. See the ADA Physical Efforts Effort Checklist.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS. The incumbent must be able to balance the needs of diverse constituencies on a daily basis. The staff member in this position will work as part of a collaborative team, following the principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home model. The staff member will perform his/her duties in a way that supports each team member’s capacity to function at his/her highest level of training. Recognizing every patient’s need to be served in a holistic manner, the staff member will work to ensure that Unity Health Care patients’ physical, social and mental health and wellness are addressed, while taking patient preferences into account.
Unity Health Care.
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Unity Health Care.