Job Summary: Plans, coordinates, and oversees care for patients of any age in PACU department. Provides care within nursing standards of practice and the policies of the Center. Makes decisions regarding direct patient care needs and communicates appropriate information to other team members. May have additional responsibilities as designated by the manager, which include, but are not limited to, serving on committees, participating in quality improvement audits, and projects.
Job Title: PACU RN
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the DON.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Knows and adheres to policies of the Center and demonstrates fiscal responsibility.
- Follows policies, procedures, goals, and objectives for perioperative nursing care according to accepted standards.
- Plans, implements, and evaluates pre and post operative nursing care for patients based on individual, specific patient needs, and according to physician's orders.
- Organizes and prepares medical records of patients. Documents care appropriately and fully. Follows up on missing data and other patient care needs.
- Maintains and demonstrates current skills and knowledge of intravenous therapy, medication administration and effects, patient assessment, airway maintenance, patient teaching, emotional/social support of patients and families, and other needed clinical competencies.
- Remains calm and functions as a team member during times of stress and crisis situations.
- Seeks involvement in activities that promote professional growth and behavior.
- Actively participates in appropriate committee and CQI activities.
- Follows OSHA and other standards for protection against blood borne pathogens.
- Uses good body mechanics.
- Informs PACU Manager of applicable day-to-day situations.
- Follows employee health and other personnel and staffing policies.
Qualifications: Graduate of an approved school of nursing. Currently licensed in the state. CPR required, advanced life support certification required. One year experience required intra-operative setting. Demonstrates clinical competency, leadership, and teaching capabilities. Physically and emotionally capable of performing responsibilities of position.
Job Behavior: Reflective of Mission Statement:
USPI's mission is to provide first-class surgical services for the local community in a safe, comfortable and welcoming environment; one in which we would be happy to treat our own families.
Demonstrates ability to work as a team member and to communicate directly and professionally. Is flexible, reliable, productive, patient-oriented, and self-motivated. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span. He/she is able to identify and categorize each patient's age-specific grouping of needs, such as those for an infant, adolescent, adult, or geriatric patient. Maintains professional conduct and appearance.
Education and/or Experience: Graduate of an approved school of nursing. Currently licensed in the state. CPR required, advanced life support certification required. One year experience required intra-operative setting. Demonstrates clinical competency, leadership, and teaching capabilities. Physically and emotionally capable of performing responsibilities of position.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Other skills and abilities: General familiarity with medical terminology as it pertains to anatomy and surgical procedures for an operating room.
Physical Demands: Shall be physically able to stand, walk, and maintain varied body motions and positions for long periods of time. Demonstrates manual dexterity. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee shall be able to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects or tools. The employee is required to stand, walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Shall be able to hear and speak. Shall be able to move up to 100 pounds.