Executive Director, Data2X
- Expired: April 15, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
Data2X, hosted by the United Nations Foundation, is a collaborative technical and advocacy platform dedicated to improving the quality, availability, and use of gender data in order to make a practical difference in the lives of girls and women worldwide.
Data2X works with UN agencies, governments, civil society, academics, and the private sector to close gender data gaps, promote expanded and unbiased gender data collection, and use gender data to improve policies, strategies, and decision-making in support of gender equality.
Data2X is a civil society organization and gender data alliance, collaborating with partners to improve the production and use of gender data through strategic partnerships, research, advocacy, and communications.
To improve the quality, availability, and use of gender data to make a practical difference in the lives of women and girls worldwide.
A future where gender data guides smart policymaking for greater gender equality.
The groundwork that Data2X has done over the years has given this expanding global network of gender data actors greater influence within the international gender equality, data and statistics, and development communities. The organization, its mission, and the use of gender data is ready for a quantum leap forward.
Achieving gender equality requires quality, policy-relevant data on women and girls. Without it, we cannot make informed decisions, and we cannot track if those decisions are improving lives.
After ten years of dynamic growth, Data2X is seeking a transformative leader to take the organization to the next level at a time of both opportunity and deep challenge in gender equity worldwide. Data2X is poised to play a decisive role in shaping the agenda around gender data and how gender data can drive broader gender equality, which is even more crucial following the devastating setbacks for girls and women during the COVID-19 pandemic. To capitalize on its unique position at the intersection of different communities of data producers and data users – and, most importantly, to use gender data to make a practical difference in the lives of women and girls worldwide – Data2X is seeking an adept and strategic Executive Director to lead the organization in its critical next phase.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Advisory Board, the UN, donors, and other partners to advance the organization’s vision and strategy, and position Data2X for increased impact.
- Lead and oversee all aspects of the organization’s strategy and execution of its core mission.
- Drive the organization’s policy and advocacy agenda with policymakers, decisionmakers, and other partners around the globe to advance the mission of the organization and influence the quality, quantity, and use of gender data to improve lives.
- Lead the small, high-powered team to ensure execution of organizational strategy with the highest standards of operational excellence and strong business oversight.
- Drive the organization’s engagement with stakeholders and partners in the broader international development community to contribute to development of data solutions, increase use of data for gender-relevant policies, and raise awareness of the value of gender data.
- Represent the organization at the highest levels with international and other partners and serve as a key, public facing “voice for gender data” within the broader data and development ecosystem.
- Drive strategies for organizational growth and change, including overseeing recruitment and development of staff and change management initiatives
- Lead the organization's efforts to elevate and increase the reach and influence of narratives, evidence, and storytelling, around gender data through creative and strategic convenings and other communications tools
- Lead the organization’s fundraising and strategic donor engagement, to help grow and diversify the resource base needed to strengthen the use and applicability of gender data
- Lead by example to maintain Data2Xs strong organizational culture that reflects its core values
The next Executive Director will be a dynamic, savvy, and globally experienced leader with demonstrated knowledge, expertise, and credibility across the global data ecosystem and proven history of influencing data production processes, including within national statistical and data systems, as well as proven interest in gender issues. They should have a proven history navigating and influencing global policy and related processes, a convincing voice and capacity for effective communication, demonstrated effectiveness in diverse and international environments, and proven effectiveness in resource mobilization and strategic donor engagement. A builder, mentor, developer, and influencer, the ideal candidate will bring a strategic vision to Data2X that will build on its solid foundation to drive transformational growth and impact.
Key traits the Executive Director will possess include:
- Proven leadership at the helm of dynamic, cross-sector initiatives
- Demonstrated expertise, credibility, and savvy across the diversity of the data for development ecosystem
- Commitment to Data2X’s mission and vision, along with a keen understanding of the global data ecosystem, key challenges facing national data and statistical systems around the world, and how data can impact policy and behavior change
- Exceptional communications skills across sectors, and desire to serve as a global “voice” for gender data issues
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and strategic partnership development
- Clear history of collaboration, and effective coalition-building, including the ability to expertly navigate across the broader landscape of diverse platforms and partners
- Innovative thinking to match the growing field and opportunities for Data2X, while maintaining the connection between gender data and policy change as the consistent animating force
- Experienced leader in organizations that operate in a complex, highly regulated and rapidly changing sector
- Challenger mindset with a background of strategically leading an organization through times of growth and change
- Experience working with global institutions, including the United Nations, multilateral organizations, and international financial institutions
- Proven management skills, including knowledge of people development and organizational management, planning & budgeting, resource allocation, and accountability
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- A track record of effective, inclusive, and thoughtful management of organizations and staff of this size ($6-7M, 7-8 staff currently)
- A reputation for high-EQ management, leadership, and executive interaction
Education and related qualifications
- A master’s degree in relevant field required with a preference for a doctorate degree
- 15+ years of related professional experience
- Ability to manage a team based principally in Washington, D.C.
- This is a full-time position with an exempt FLSA classification
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
United Nations Foundation
TechnologyView all jobs at United Nations Foundation