Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
United Heritage Insurance, an enterprise with multi-state locations, headquartered in Meridian, Idaho, is seeking an experienced senior executive to serve as (CFO) for the holding company parent and certain subsidiaries. The CFO is a member of senior management responsible for providing leadership in four key areas: Strategist, Catalyst, Operator, & Steward. As a strategist the CFO provides perspective on innovation, growth, risk, and reward as part of effective strategic planning to the CEO. As a catalyst the CFO is focused on evaluating strategies to align and achieve new corporate objectives. As an operator the CFO must dynamically balance resource capabilities, cost and service of the finance function and the expense management of the company. And as a steward the CFO must be diligent in protecting and preserving the company’s value through proper accounting, controls, risk management, and information quality.
United Heritage Insurance companies are established and growing for over 100 years. We offer a flexible, hybrid work environment while also encouraging in-person collaboration and team building. We pride ourselves on a culture of innovation and inclusion. Our company offers professional development, mentorship and opportunities to give back to the communities we serve. Our competitive compensation and benefit package includes a 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting, profit sharing, company paid disability, paid parental leave, a volunteer day, PTO, a floating holiday and up to 11.5 paid holidays. United Heritage firmly believes in supporting employees and our community; we actively support local charitable agencies and make sustainability and social responsibility a priority.
This position is eligible for healthcare, dental, and vision benefits on day one and a new hire mentor program to support a successful onboarding experience!
All employees will be subject to a criminal and credit background check as a requirement of employment.
California residents, click here to view our CCPA Privacy Notice at Collection.
The CFO is a member of senior management with responsibilities that include leadership of Accounting and Actuarial Services. As a member of the senior management team, the position aids in the development and leadership of the Strategic Plan and associated programs. The CFO’s current responsibilities include:
- CFO: Providing leadership in four key areas: Strategist, Catalyst, Operator, & Steward for all United Heritage companies (UHFG, UHLIC, UHPC, and SIC).
- As a strategist the CFO provides perspective on innovation, growth, risk, and reward as part of effective strategic planning to the CEO.
- As a catalyst the CFO is focused on evaluating strategies to align and achieve new corporate objectives.
- As an operator the CFO must dynamically balance resource capabilities, cost and service of the finance function and the expense management of the company.
- As a steward of resources, the CFO must be diligent in protecting and preserving the company’s value through proper accounting, controls, risk management, and information quality.
- Actuarial Services (All actuarial departments, including UHFG, UHLIC and UHPC/SIC actuaries): The CFO leads the actuarial teams, including pricing, financial projections, valuation reporting, and other non-traditional actuarial services for the companies. The CFO works directly with the VP & Actuary, who reports to the CFO, to deliver services well beyond traditional actuarial responsibilities.
- Oversee financial policies and procedures for the accurate and consistent recording and reporting of all financial matters including external financial reporting, internal financial reporting, income & premium tax compliance, budgeting, expense management, and internal analysis and projections.
- Serve as the officer overseeing the internal controls framework across the enterprise. Ultimate responsibility for the operation of the companies’ internal controls resides with the control owners.
- Prepare periodic reports to senior management and the Boards of Directors and/or Board Committees regarding activity in financial performance, risk management, and internal control responsibilities described above.
- Actively participate in strategic planning and initiatives of the companies and provide strategic financial input and leadership throughout the process.
- Actively participate in M&A targeting, analysis, and due diligence.
- Prepare and analyze financial projections and trends and perform benchmarking of financial performance against internal targets and peer companies.
- Primary officer in charge of coordinating financial audits for all companies with the external independent accounting firm and liaison with the Audit Committee.
- Assist the UHFG CEO with capital allocation decisions, dividends, and inter-company transactions.
- Prepare reports and analysis for inclusion in annual rating agency documents (AM Best, Kroll, and Demotech) for all companies. Participate in meetings and discussion with rating agency.
- Lead the preparation of materials, discussions, coordination, and other interactions with the Department of Insurance (DOI) for periodic examinations and other requested activities for UHFG’s regulated subsidiaries.
- Participate and maintain bank relationships with the Chief Investment Officer.
- Assist the enterprise in selecting and implementing financial software that supports and advances the efficiency and effectiveness of the financial operations of the companies.
- Oversees accounting departments and tax functions of UHMHC, UHFG, UHLIC, UHPC, SSC, SIC and UHMS. Oversight includes staff for accounting, financial reporting, tax, and budgets.
- Supervises the primary Officers, Directors, Managers, and/or Senior Accounting staff at UHFG, UHLIC, SIC, and UHPC.
- Evaluate the accounting / finance functions and team for optimal effectiveness and efficiency and provide for meaningful professional and personal growth of individuals (where possible). Perform meaningful staff performance appraisals.
- Work with the Chief Investment Officer to coordinate and review the investment accounting and reporting.
- Participate in reinsurance discussions and negotiations for UHLIC, SIC, and UHPC.
- May represent UHFG on a subsidiary company Board as an inside director.
- Provides technical support and is a member of the Interest Rate Setting, Investment Committee, Retirement Committee, Audit Committee, Risk Committee, among other responsibilities that arise or are assigned by the CEO.
- The CFO will lead and assist the UHFG, UHLIC and P&C companies’ actuaries in planning and implementing actuarial tasks and responsibilities to support UHPC, SIC, and UHLIC. The lead actuaries report directly to the CFO. Additionally, the CFO, with the assistance of the lead actuaries:
- Assists, as needed, on traditional actuarial responsibilities, including valuation, pricing, financial projections, reinsurance, statutory reporting, among other responsibilities.
- Provides strategic and tactical planning, development, evaluation, and coordination of the actuarial services for the enterprise, beyond the traditional actuarial responsibilities noted above.
- Facilitates communication between staff, management, vendors, and other areas within the organization.
- Liaison regarding actuarial activities to the presidents at the UHFG companies.
- Participates in the development of new products and implementation of those products.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor degree in accounting or finance, Masters degree preferred.
- 20+ years of experience in increasingly responsible finance & managerial roles.
- Experience in financial services, life insurance and/or property insurance preferred
- Must be CPA in good standing.
- Excellent technical and analytical skills.
- Experience and knowledge with STAT, GAAP, and Income Tax standards.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills.
- Strong leadership, management, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong creative and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work within and meet demanding time frames.
Work is performed in an office environment. May sit for long periods of time. Visual acuity to perform reading and computer functions. Some travel. Available for business or civic functions evenings and weekends
United Heritage Insurance
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at United Heritage Insurance