Reports to (title):
Public Health Nurse
Type of Position:
POSITION PURPOSE AND SUMMARY
The Public Health Nurse is part of a multi-disciplinary team working together to determine, assess, establish and carry out a public health and case management plan for each client with an emphasis on health education and health services that are preventative in nature. This may include providing safe transportation for clients to and from activities weekdays and weekends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Provide health screening for risk assessment of adults and children dealing with general medical, women’s care, chronic diseases and HIV/AIDS risk assessment and risk reduction.
· Provide referrals for diagnosis and treatment to assure continuity of health services.
· Provide diabetes education for the purpose of disease prevention and maintenance as necessary.
· Provide health education as appropriate to all clients.
· Responsible for percentage of PHN encounters & services for face-to-face evaluations, education & screening as well as home visits required by contract with Indian Health Services or other funding sources.
· Responsible for percentage of chart reviews for quality assurance purposes.
· Maintain an active list of all clients sorted by geographic area (to facilitate home visit scheduling).
· Adhere to GPRA performance indicators related to the delivery of services.
· Assist clients in accessing appropriate primary and specialty care in partnership with case management staff.
· Submit required reports and records monthly as required by Director of Health Services.
· Supervise case management and outreach staff to ensure appropriate treatment plans and continuity of care.
· Advocate not just for the patient, but for the community.
· Monitor the spread of disease, keep vigilant watch for environmental hazards, educate the community on how to care for and treat themselves, and train for community disasters and bio-terrorism.
· Responsible for program goals, plan enhancements and improve outcomes.
· Keep Director well informed regarding activities, pending issues and potential problems.
· Maintain documentation of all encounters utilizing ICD-9 codes and CPT codes for data management system.
· Review and revise Medical Protocols as needed
· Provide follow up calls on all abnormal lab results.
· Assist grant writing staff in preparation of grants/proposals.
· Attend weekly clinical team meetings to provide updates on client cases.
· Oversee ordering of medical supplies and equipment.
· Attend required staff and quality assurance meetings.
· As a member of the Joint BAIHP/FAIHP Quality Assurance committee attend all required meetings.
· Adheres to agency policies and procedures and advances the goals of UAII in a manner that embodies the agency’s philosophy.
MINIMUM MANDATORY QUALIFICATIONS
Experience & Qualifications:
· At least one year experience working in public health field
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and knowledge regarding the Resource Patient Management System – Electronic Health Record (RPMS-EHR) database
· Demonstrated skills writing client progress notes
· Demonstrated ability in basic nursing skills (monitors blood pressure, give injections, administer meds, etc.)
· Able to use a phone, fax, and copier machine
· Bachelors of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN)
· Current California Registered Nursing License
· Current Public Health Certificate
· Must have and maintained a current CA driver’s license and auto insurance
Patient Care and Customer Service:
· Maintain strict confidentiality of client and personnel information adhering to HIPAA, professional codes of conduct, State of CA regulations, Privacy Act, and UAII policies and procedures
· Demonstrable ability to communicate effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing
· Proficient in English
· Communicate and deal effectively with people in a professional and courteous manner
· Available and willing to travel as needed
· Available to work evening and weekend hours as needed
· Maintains personal responsibility for maintaining a valid licensure and for ensuring timely completion of appropriate Continuing Education Units for renewal of license
POSITION QUALIFICATION PREFERENCES
· Knowledge of Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (Public Law 93-638)
· Experience working with the American Indian community
· At least 2 years experience working in the public health field
· At least 2 years experience working with women’s care
· Masters degree in Nursing
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the primary functions of this job. Normal office conditions exist, and the noise level in the work environment can vary from low to moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently stand, walk, sit, bend, twist, talk and hear. There are prolonged periods of sitting, keyboarding, reading, as well as driving or riding in transport vehicles. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include reading, distance, computer, and color vision. Talking and hearing are essential to communicate with patients, vendors and staff.
There are a number of deadlines associated with this position. The employee must also multi-task and interact with a wider variety of people on various and, at times, complicated issues.
In performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees of United American Involvement, Inc. (UAII) are expected to conform to the following:
· Uphold all principles of confidentiality and patient care to the fullest extent.
· Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards of the healthcare and social services industry.
· Interact in an honest, trustworthy and dependable manner with clients, employees and vendors.
· Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
· Meet or exceed the performance standards as set by your supervisor.
· Work independently and as a team member; consistently demonstrates professionalism, courtesy, efficiency, excellent internal and external customer service, high ethical standards and behavior that contribute to harmonious relationships.
· Maintain a current insurable California driver’s license if required.
UAII has implemented an Indian Preference in Employment Policy. Pursuant to this Policy, applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for this position and who are enrolled members of a federally recognized Tribe will be given primary preference in hiring and employment for this position. Other candidates will be considered only after all candidates entitled to this preference have been fully considered.
All employees must maintain a current (annual) negative/inactive tuberculosis test/x-ray results on file, have a negative result on a pre-employment drug test, consent to and pass a character investigation as prescribed in P.L. 101-630, section 408 and uphold all principles of confidentiality and patient/client care to the fullest extent. This position has access to sensitive information and a breach of these principles will be grounds for immediate termination.
Disclaimer: The information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. Employees will be asked to perform other duties as needed.