Unique Industries Philadelphia, PA
- Posted: over a month ago
Unique Industries is a family-owned business with over 50 years of industry experience. When you work for Unique, you get all the perks of larger corporations, such as 401K, multiple choices of healthcare plans, generous paid time off, and more. However, the difference between us and a larger corporation is that here at Unique, we are family. Your CEO and management team are involved in day-to-day operations and make sure that each location sees how much they are appreciated through annual company picnics and holiday luncheons. So if you're looking for a job that is exciting, rewarding, and team-focused - then apply today! We would love to have you come join the party.
About Our Opportunity
We are seeking a Classification Specialist to work in the Philadelphia Corporate office. The Classification Specialist responsible for having in-depth knowledge and understanding of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSUS) to assign the HTSUS Number, corresponding duty percent, and regulatory compliance requirements for all imported items. This position is responsible for the U.S. Customs Broker relationship management; and troubleshooting, analyzing, and resolving any issues that may arise. This position also oversees the calculation of landed cost estimates for all new item or existing product programs, report execution to assist buyer as well as the item set up process for the Purchasing Department.
- Update all applicable systems with the relevant classification information.
- Work with Sourcing and Costing teams to calculate landed costs.
- Responsible for understanding General Rules of Interpretation of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States and assigning the appropriate HTSUS number and corresponding duty percentage for all imports.
- Communicate and conduct continuing education with Sourcing, Costing, and Product Development teams in order to ensure they are aware of and compliant with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations; and consult on product compliance activity.
- Monitor the development of global trade agreements between various countries. Use knowledge to interpret tariff and non-tariff barriers and recognize opportunities to support and help shape the global sourcing strategy.
- Conduct duty optimization through understanding duty specifics in regards to existing and new product categories; and suggesting variations that can optimize duty impact.
- Own the item set up process for new items from the Purchasing and Sourcing teams.
- Coordinate with Customs Broker on securing proper duty classifications on all new products.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Knowledge of product, materials, & product development process.
- Data focused, with ability to apply analysis based on in-depth research and critical thinking to recommend or influence solutions.
- Advanced knowledge of issues related to international trade and regulatory environments.
- Familiarity with and understanding of/ability to use JDE (or similar ERP software).
- High school diploma or its equivalent required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Logistics or related field preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience related experience and/or training required; preferably in international commerce, including export/import processes, trade finance practices, national and foreign statutory and regulatory provisions, tariff and non-tariff barriers.
- Retail experience strongly preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Unique Industries, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants and employees for all positions without regards to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.