Join a team of track laborers with a record of building and repairing track for Union Pacific for more than 150 years. As a Track Laborer, you'll perform the maintenance, repairs and installations necessary on the tracks that run through your assigned territory. By repairing or replacing tracks as needed, you'll enable Union Pacific to move trains safely and efficiently to serve its customers throughout North America.
For this position, you will be required to become a Union Pacific certified driver during your probationary period. To become certified, you must meet the following Motor Vehicle and Medical Requirements:
1. Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
2. Have valid driver's license
3. Have an acceptable driving record per your Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)
4. You may also be required to obtain your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) if you will be operating a vehicle(s) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or greater. If this is required, you will need to obtain your CDL during your probationary period.
Must meet the medical requirements (also called physical qualifications) for commercial motor vehicle drivers as specified by the US Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). For more information about FMCSA physical qualifications for drivers click here. Health and Medical Services at Union Pacific Railroad will make the final determination on whether or not an individual meets the FMCSA medical qualifications, and may add additional medical requirements to assure the person can safety perform job tasks, with or without accommodation.
* Observe the condition of tracks, track beds and track right-of-way for problems or defects
* Remove and replace rails, rail anchors, spikes, ballast, ties and other parts as needed
* Handle, help unload and move track materials and equipment from rail cars, carts or trucks
* Dig holes and trenches
* Maintain track beds by cutting vegetation and brush when needed, and sweeping, picking and digging dust or snow from movable track parts
* Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices and procedures
* Drive company vehicles as required
* Perform track maintenance, repair, and installation
* Perform any other work not mentioned above that is required to construct or rehabilitate railroad tracks
* Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
* Develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, contractors and/or customers and effectively handle conflict situations
* Ability to speak English in a clear, concise manner to communicate with coworker(s) and supervisor(s)
* Valid driver's license
* Able to read and comprehend regulations and instructions as well as possess good verbal communication skills
* Candidates for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. The number of candidates who pass the test and are granted an interview is based upon hiring needs. If you have taken this test for any of the jobs listed here and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this position. Click here to see a sample of the Workplace Practices Test.
* Candidates must qualify on a Physical Ability Test (PAT) prior to employment. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test
* Experience operating construction or farm equipment
* Experience of 1 year or more in Railroad Maintenance of Way work
* Experience welding
* Valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within probationary period
* Experience operating heavy equipment
*Location:* Beaumont, TX
*Closing Date:* None at 11:59 PM Central Time
*Job Open To:* Internal and External Candidates