The Laboratory Director plans and implements the overall laboratory processes and procedures set forth by UCG's Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). The Laboratory Director is responsible for the administration, management, and training of all laboratory functions and employees including the intake, extraction, post processing, quality control, and packaging departments. The Laboratory Director ensures safe and efficient laboratory operations and oversees that state regulations and legal compliance are maintained.
The Laboratory Director shall have:
- At minimum a four-year degree from an accredited institution in a technical field, i.e. physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, management, or relevant experience.
- At least two years of managerial experience.
- Familiarity with cannabis extraction concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Proven track record in meeting company goals, objectives and production metrics.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to owners and employees.
- The ability to lift up to 50 pounds and sit or stand for eight hours per day.
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Coordinate with and report to UCG ownership and management to achieve production goals, maintain best practices, and follow SOPs.
- Coordinate with laboratory staff for overall execution of all work orders and incoming and outgoing deliveries.
- Coordinate with Extraction and Support Technicians in planning and fulfilling the manufacturing schedule.
- Ensure adequate inventory for all product types requested by sales department.
- Examine incoming biomass for quality control and direct proper storage and preparation for extraction.
- Manage laboratory employees and associated tasks including interviewing, scheduling, and conflict resolution.
- Maximize efficiency in processing while maintaining the highest level of quality in extraction products.
- Ability to assess operational efficiencies, identify areas for improvement, and develop written plans to address.
- Manage purchasing for the laboratory, including consumables.
- Track manufacturing metrics throughout the manufacturing process using UCG and state required tracking systems.
- Collect, interpret, and share data to monitor and adjust daily operations for maximum output and quality.
- Supervise inventory through biomass, extraction, QA/QC, packaging, and transfer.
Monitoring of Laboratory Equipment
- Schedule required preventive maintenance outlined by the equipment user manual and UCG’s recommended maintenance schedule.
- Maintain maintenance log and proper documentation of issues and resolutions.
- Ensure safe assembly, inspection, and maintenance of high pressure clamping systems, stainless steel tubes, hoses, connections, sight glasses, valves, condensers, fittings, pressure gauges, vacuum ovens, refrigerated/heating circulators, and any other manufacturing equipment as needed.
- Maintain vacuum and extraction pumps with regular oil changes. Maintain pump protection equipment and schedule rebuilds in accordance with manufacture and UCG’s recommendations.
- Monitor laboratory glassware, utensils, and equipment for quantity, condition, and cleanliness.
- Maintain chemical storage area and inventory-usage logs.
- Manage the manipulation and refinement of crude extract into specified product form factors as defined by UCG SOPs.
- Have a thorough understanding of cannabinoid distillation theory, concepts, and practices.
- Understanding of techniques in preserving terpenes and cannabinoids throughout all post processing steps.
- Prioritize post processing tasks and fulfillment of work orders in an efficient manner.
Testing and Product Preparation
- Manage sample preparation for QA/QC and interpret results to ensure purging and extracting techniques are being followed and that UCG’s product quality standards are being met.
- Communicate and coordinate with testing laboratories for sample pickup and receipt of test results.
- Analysis and documentation of issues and trends with test results and associated biomass and manufacturing processes
- Conduct and maintain all safety trainings and procedures in accordance with UCG’s SOPs.
- Emphasize safety in all laboratory activities by maintaining work environments that minimize exposure to hazardous materials and vapors for all staff members.
- Provide and maintain MSDS information for all laboratory chemicals, solvents, and gases.
- Ensure that employee safety and emergency training is conducted in regular intervals.