Munivipal Services Emergency Managerment Planning Specialist
Unified Fire Authority Salt Lake City, UT
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION:
Can serve as the designee of municipal emergency manager, or in support of existing municipal emergency management personnel. Provides technical assistance related to development, implementation, and evaluation of emergency management programs. Responsible for a wide variety of activities in planning, preparedness, prevention, mitigation, response, and recovery. Responsible for creating, reviewing, or updating variety of municipal All- Hazards emergency plans (i.e. Emergency Operations Plan (EOP)/Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP), Mitigation, debris management etc.).
Works under the direction of the designated municipal level official designated by the participating municipality (i.e. Mayor, City Manager, Municipal Emergency Manager) with minimal supervision. UFA Administrative supervision/support provided by the UFA Emergency Management Planning Officer. Expected to function independently by using initiative to plan and carry out assignments.
- Reviews, maintains and develops emergency management plans/annexes for organizations within the participating municipalities, including assisting with conducting vulnerability and risk assessments of critical sites and infrastructure.
- Serve as a liaison to counties, state agencies, private sector partners and non-governmental organizations regarding disaster preparedness, response, mitigation and recovery activities on behalf of the assigned municipalities.
- Under direction of the designated participating municipality official or designee, coordinates and implements planning efforts for the development, operation, security, and staffing of municipal emergency operations center positions during disaster/incident operations.
- Ensures planning efforts comply with local, State and Federal programs (i.e. the National Incident Management System (NIMS), Emergency Support Functions (ESFs), Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP)/Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) frameworks, Mitigation/Recovery, and the Emergency Management Accreditation Program (EMAP), etc.).
- Develops and coordinates implementation of comprehensive plans, procedures and systems to ensure an efficient and effective all-hazards level of preparedness and response to major emergencies.
- Ensures program plans, procedures and guidelines are developed and tested to minimize gaps, ensure continuity and to gauge operational readiness.This may includecontinuity of operations, continuity of government, communications, hazard mitigation, emergency operations, response, recovery, public education, and school safety.
- Coordinates, manages and evaluates municipal plans for transportation, shelter, mass care, health and medical services, evacuation,re-entry and recovery from a wide variety of emergencies.
- Coordinates, interprets and institutes long-range planning for the emergency management program.
- Attends meetings (including evenings), conferences, workshops, and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain proficient on principles, practices and new developments in assigned work areas.
- Develops or maintains training and exercise strategies to evaluate planning efforts specific to operational plans.
- Availability to respond back as directed after-hours, weekends and holidays as directed.
- Promotes a high level of customer service and good public relations.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Incumbents typically set their own priorities within assigned programs or projects, relying on demonstrated experience and in-depth knowledge of emergency management, response planning, public safety, continuity of operations, continuity of government and consequence management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Principles and practices of emergency planning, emergency management and homeland security concepts; strong written and oral communication skills; flexible ability to learn and consistently interpret regulations; and solid personal organization and work load management skills.
- Local government agency obligations under the National Response Plan, NIMS, ICS, and the National Contingency Plan, is essential for successful performance.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Public speaking and making presentations.
- Cope with emergency situations firmly, courteously and tactfully. Including the ability to make decisions under pressure.
- Schedule, coordinate and direct the work of multi-functional groups operating under stress.
- Assist in the Coordination, development, test, exercise and evaluate a variety of emergency management planning efforts.
- Develop, carry out and evaluate emergency preparedness, response, mitigation and recovery plans.
- Effectively manage assigned project(s) by appropriately focusing attention on critical priorities.
- Effectively create and execute project timelines based on priorities, resource availability, and other project requirements.
- Possess an excellent understanding of the formatting and document generation functions in Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Demonstrate effectiveproject management abilities and success in meeting deadlines.
- Effectively communicating thoughts, ideas and facts.
- Convey confidence and authority, as well as demonstrating empathy and understanding of the emotional components of complex situations or issues.
- Meet expected deadlines and attain measurable results as defined by the Planning Officer and/or Emergency Management Division Chief
- Respond back as directed after-hours, weekends and holidays as directed.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Valid Driver's License
- Bachelor's Degree in emergency management, public health, biological sciences, community health, planning, hazard assessment, business or public administration, OR four years of related experience OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- If filled with a sworn Firefighter the individual must currently hold the rank of Firefighter, Firefighter Specialist or Paramedic Specialist and for the P17 level, must also possess Instructor I and Inspector I certifications.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS OR EXPERIENCE
- Basic National Incident Management System (NIMS) certification, this is understood to be completion of FEMA IS-100, IS-200, IS-700 and IS-800 courses at a minimum.
- FEMA Mitigation courses
- FEMA Recovery Operations courses
- FEMA CPG 101 courses
- FEMA Disaster Debris Management courses
- Experience with WebEOC recommended.
Generally, work is performed in a general office environment during routine office hours, Monday through Friday, however after hours and weekend work is likely when responding to emergencies or attending training events or meetings. Work activities vary widely including attendance at meetings, field and classroom training, and driving. Work may include infrequent response to emergencies to assist with logistical and/or administrative duties. If such a response is required, individuals are expected to respond 24 hours/day, 7days/week, with a minimal response time.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential job functions satisfactorily. This position involves periods of prolonged sitting and use of computer equipment. This position requires the physical and mental capabilities to read information printed on paper and displayed on computer monitors; hear, speak, and communicate verbally using the English language; cognitive thinking and mathematical calculation capabilities; manual dexterity to manipulate standard office equipment, papers, files, and records. This position requires occasional driving and the ability to lift up to ten (10) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Classified as FLSA Non-exempt and eligible for overtime
**If filled with a sworn Firefighter, paid as a P13/P17 Firefighter Specialist or P14/P18 Paramedic Specialist
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Unified Fire Authority
AddressSalt Lake City, UT
GovernmentView all jobs at Unified Fire Authority