Job Code: FN1160
We are welcoming a new era in healthcare where achieving good health is just the beginning. At UVA Health Northern VA & Culpeper, we believe in caring for the whole person by getting to know - and making connections with - our patients. By combining the talent and expertise of our people, the breadth of capabilities across our system, and our commitment to helping our communities get better and stay healthy, we are improving the patient experience.
As a UVA Health Northern VA & Culpeper team member, you will have a voice in patient care decisions, support the most advanced medical technologies and feel a strong sense of satisfaction from making a difference in people's lives every day.
Supervises Positions: No
Performs nutrition education and nutrition assessments on patients. Consults, educates patients/clients in both one on one and group settings on risk factor reduction related to nutrition management. Communication could be via phone, face-to-face or through video settings. Provides coaching to include, but not limited to, behavior changes towards improving health status, reducing health risk, and improving quality of life of patients. Optimize nutrition status of patients through medical nutrition therapy to patients with nutrition risk, including nutrition assessment, individualized care plans, provider ordered recommendations and implementation of nutrition therapy, education and counseling for disease and nutrition risk management and evaluation of outcomes of these interventions. Scheduling and follow-up with patients as needed with appropriate documentation on all patients. Works/communicates with interdisciplinary team in the management of health and nutrition factors.
Communication: Communicates the benefits of nutrition programming.
- Effectively communicates team needs to available resources.
- Participates in public speaking (in/out of facility) to promote healthy lifestyles as needed.
- Works closely with performance coaching, sports medicine staff, and executive team leaders on nutrition programming.
- Participates in weekly/monthly staff meetings and provides updates on nutrition programming.
Patient Care: Provides nutritional education and nutrition assessments for patients.
- Consults and educates patients/clients on nutrition management.
- Provides coaching towards improving health status, reducing health risk, and improving quality of life of patients.
- Optimizes nutritional status of patients through medical nutrition therapy.
- Schedules and follows-up with patients as needed with appropriate documentation on all patients.
- Works/communicates with interdisciplinary team in the management of health and nutrition factors.
Record Keeping: Maintains information on personnel records.
- Demonstrates clear and concise documentation for client record keeping including evaluation summaries and progress notes.
- Maintains information for personnel records, including education record, certifications/licensure.
Learning: Uses efficient learning techniques to acquire and apply new knowledge and skills.
- Learns new information to remain current in state-of-the-art methodologies.
- Identifies continuing education needs.
- Communicates educational and operational needs of program to manager/director.
The incumbent may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned.
Education: 4 Year/Bachelor's Degree in Dietetics, Nutrition, Foods, and Nutrition required. Graduate Degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Registered Clinical Dietitian preferred. Refer to the Life Support Training Policy for additional details.
Licensure: Registered Dietitian status by the commission on Dietetic Registration required. Licensed Dietitian in applicable state required.
Additional Skills/Requirements Required: Ability to successfully complete generic and department-specific skills validation and competency testing. Knowledge, ability, and skills to support patient education and patient engagement in self-care management to accommodate cultural diversity, age specific or behavior needs among the patients being served.
Additional Skills/Requirements Preferred: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to relay information to diverse audiences for one-on-one consultations, small and large group presentations; dynamic presence for media interviews, health fairs and other invited presentations/appearances.
Physical Demand Code: 9A, Educators
Work Function/Activity: Light to Medium Physical Demand
The job requires frequent sitting and standing, occasional walking, and bending/stooping. Proficient communicative, auditory, and visual skills. Ability to lift/push/pull up to 50 lbs. occasionally. For any weight over 35 lbs., use Safe Handling Equipment. This job description may not include all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described. It may be amended at any time at the sole discretion of UVA Health Northern VA & Culpeper.
- May require the use of safety equipment, such as HEPA mask, for infection prevention: Yes
- On call responsibilities as directed: No
- Ability to travel between campus buildings, remote facilities, and out of town as needed: Yes
15195 Heathcote BlvdHaymarket, VA
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.