For more than 78 years, the USO—a private, nonprofit organization—has served the men and women of the U.S. military, and their families, throughout their time in uniform – from the moment they join, through their deployments and as they transition back to their communities.
Today’s USO continuously adapts to the needs of our men and women in uniform and their families, so they can focus on their very important mission. We operate USO centers at or near military installations across the United States and throughout the world, including in combat zones, and even un-staffed USO service sites in places too dangerous for anyone but combat troops to occupy.
Marketing and Communications Volunteer Internship
The Marketing and Communications team at the USO is looking for a creative, bright and motivated all-star multimedia production volunteer intern for Spring 2020. The core focus of the volunteer internship would be to assist the in-house creative team with the production of written, video, photo and graphic design assets featured across USO web, social and print channels.
The ideal intern volunteer is an undergraduate – Junior, Senior – or Graduate Student in public relations, film, marketing, journalism, photography, communications or other related programs. They will have experience in writing, video/photo production, strong organizational skills, a self-starting attitude and an eager desire to contribute, learn and adapt on the fly. Our Intern volunteer will have the opportunity to be directly involved on projects from day one and will leave with valuable clips for your portfolio. Intern volunteers are highly valued and fully integrated into our everyday workflow!
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Writing short-form written USO.org stories.
- Reviewing, organizing and cataloguing footage/photos.
- Writing social media copy to accompany edited photos and videos.
- Brainstorming content ideas for upcoming USO campaigns and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Specifications - Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors necessary to perform the job successfully. Equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable.
- Strong writing, researching and copyediting skills.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (specifically Photoshop and Bridge).
- Highly organized with a keen attention to small details.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word and Excel.
- Working knowledge of multimedia content management systems.
- Ability to use both Macs and PCs.
- Ability to follow directions precisely and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately to meet deadlines.
- Cover letter, resume and portfolio submission are required for full consideration.
- Ideal intern would work 20 hours a week on-site (ideally 2+ full working days).
- This position is in Arlington, Virginia and is metro accessible with preference given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location.
- This position will report to the Sr. Content Marketing Manager.
- Relocation assistance is not provided for this position.
- This is a non-paid internship and an exceptional opportunity to gain experience at a non-profit.
- We are flexible with the student’s schedule and will work with the university to assist with verification of class credit and/or volunteer hours.