- Posted: over a month ago
The U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI) supports people who have lost or left their homes. For over 100 years, the unwavering commitment of our leadership, team, network of service providers, and advocates has helped redirect the destiny of countless vulnerable lives. In neighborhoods, in Washington, and around the world, we break down barriers and demand justice for refugees and immigrants as they successfully integrate into new communities. We provide essential social and legal services to rebuild productive lives, turning tragedy into prosperity. We are a purpose driven organization with a mission to protect the rights and address the needs of persons in forced or voluntary migration worldwide and supporting their transition to a dignified life. To learn more about our work, please visit our website at www.refugees.org.
Each year refugees and immigrants come to the United States to seek a better life and/or protection from persecution in their home country. To help them build their lives in the United States, USCRI offers pro-bono and low-bono legal services for these refugees and immigrants by providing competent and comprehensive immigration legal services through various programs. In Dallas, TX, one such program is providing pro bono legal services to Afghan parolees who have entered the U.S. since July 29, 2021 and need assistance applying for legal status in the US. USCRI seeks to hire a Legal Assistant to contribute to the activities of the program by providing direct technical assistance and support to the Staff Attorney in Dallas, TX.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor incoming communication and promptly respond to Afghan parolees and/or their sponsors looking for pro bono legal support;
- Assist the Staff Attorney in client communication, drafting applications for relief, following up with USCIS regarding case status;
- Make appropriate referrals to other service providers and relevant community partners;
- Support current collaborations with providers of services to immigrants and refugees;
- Perform administrative, data-collection tasks, and reporting duties as assigned;
- Maintain a basic knowledge of relevant laws, policies and trends in law affecting the target population; and
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Staff Attorney, Managing Attorney, and Associate Director of Legal Services.
All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job duties indicated is not to be an exhaustive statement and other job-related duties may be assigned as required by the supervisor(s).
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or equivalent experience;
- Two (2) years of experience working in a legal or similar setting preferred;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Commitment to working in a diverse and challenging working environment;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently;
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Access, MS Excel and database programs;
- Must pass a criminal background and other screening requirements;
- Candidate must have dedication to the human rights of refugees, immigrants, asylum seekers and displaced people;
- Demonstrated support of USCRI’s values by exhibiting respect for others, maintenance of confidential information and an appreciation of a multicultural workplace.
- Satisfactory completion of USCRI’s Orientation and Training;
- Complete additional training as identified by supervisor or Human Resources.
- Use of manual dexterity, tactile, visual, and audio acuity;
- Use of repetitive motion, prolonged periods of sitting and standing, and sustained visual and mental applications and demands;
- Occasional lifting (up to 25 pounds), bending, pulling, and carrying; and
- Quantitative/mathematical ability (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, standard measurements).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please submit a resume with cover letter describing your interest and qualifications with your online application.
References will be required at time of the final interview.
No telephone calls please. Position will remain open until filled.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants is an equal opportunity employer.
LegalView all jobs at USCRI