USA Pickleball Association (USAPA) is the national governing body for the sport of pickleball in the U.S. Its mission is to promote the growth and development of pickleball. See usapa.org. Pickleball is one of the fastest growing sports with over 3.1 million and nearly 7,000 locations listed in the USAPA Places2Play database.
To aid in this explosive growth, USAPA seeks to hire a qualified, full-time employee to manage USAPA’s competition department with an emphasis on growing and streamlining all sanctioned tournament play, including National Championships, regional tournaments and general sanctioning. The position will also manage all staff whose areas of responsibility include ratings, equipment testing/standards, referees and other competition-related areas. Duties include direction/management, event communication, event support, personnel and committee support, and other program-related duties and projects.
The qualified candidate must be highly self-motivated, and detail oriented in order to keep pace with the demanding work load that is a direct result of the rapid growth and change within the sport. The described duties are subject to change. A more specific description of anticipated job duties follows:
Event Management, Communication and Support
· Work with USAPA Executive Director, Ambassador Director and Board of Directors to develop and maintain a national standard for USAPA sanctioned tournaments, regional tournaments and National Championship tournaments.
· Work with the USAPA Executive Director and competition staff to review, revise and improve the current sanctioning process.
· Serve as a tournament chair and work directly with the Executive Director, competition staff and the National Championship Committee to facilitate and grow the USAPA National Championships (outdoor tournament).
· Work with the USAPA Executive Director and competition staff to develop and implement a USAPA National Indoor Championships to complement the existing outdoor National Championships and provide a similar level of competition and professionalism for indoor players.
· Work with USAPA Regional Directors and assist with compliance issues, guidance and recommendations for running a successful regional tournament.
· Manage updates to competition and administrative guidelines in collaboration with the Tournaments Administrator and USAPA Executive Director.
· Provide guidance and direction to the Regional Directors to ensure success and consistency within all regional tournaments and to ensure compliance and consistency with matters relating to national championship participation.
· Work with the Regional Directors to create and maintain computerized records for regional tournaments. Ensure that records are complete, accurate and up-to-date.
· Manage USAPA responses to player eligibility issues and act as staff support to eligibility committees.
· Assist regional and national tournament committees on results reporting, bid allocations, and qualification procedures.
· Serve as direct line of communication between USAPA and volunteer staff of the regional and national tournaments.
· Serve as chair or participant on all tournament-related committees.
· Serve as USAPA staff lead for USAPA competition personnel and volunteers. In the role, the qualified candidate will provide oversight and direction for national/regional tournaments, general tournament sanctioning, referees, ratings, equipment standards and game rules.
· Work directly with local organizing committees and tournament directors of regional tournaments and assist with event logistics.
· Manage tournament-related content on USAPA website.
· Participate in coordination of all competition-related aspects of championship tournament(s), including qualification, seeding, formats, scheduling, and competition rules.
· Attend National Championship events and serve as chair or co-chair.
· Attend regional tournaments and other tournaments as directed.
· Assist with site selection for future championship events.
· Attend selected USAPA championship events as event staff.
· Provide support and help tools for recruiting, training, and evaluating event volunteers.
· Create and maintain event volunteer training materials.
· Manage any temporary staff that might be hired for Nationals-related tasks.
Referee and Rules Support
· Work with the USAPA Referee Coordinator in development and implementation of referee certification and training programs.
· Assist USAPA competition staff and the Rules Committee regarding rules interpretation matters and annual rule reviews/recommendations.
· Work with the USAPA competition staff regarding rules that involve product compliance matters, testing and other equipment-related issues.
Other Program-Related Duties and Projects
· Create and analyze reports and surveys.
· Assist with other projects as needed and directed by the Executive Director or Board of Directors.
· Attend organization and/or program-level meetings as directed. These may include travel to annual ambassador and board events.
· Increase the number and quality of USAPA sanctioned tournaments held in the United States.
· With the addition of new competition staff, establish a cohesive competition department that works as a unit and places a strong emphasis on organizational communication.
· Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience); Master’s in sports management or similar preferred.
· Racquet/paddle playing experience, tournament management experience, and sport industry knowledge required.
· Proficiency with computers and office-related software including word processing, database and spreadsheet management, email and internet. Experience with website content management a plus.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work with people and provide impeccable customer service to volunteers, organizers, vendors, members and athletes of all ages and experience level.
· Shows initiative, planning and other professional work habits in task management and problem solving.
· Demonstrated ability to multi-task; prioritize competing projects and assignments.
· Demonstrated experience with organized sports administration and/or large non-profit event management.
· Experience with the sport of pickleball and sports in general.
· Event management/tournament direction experience.
· Full-time, salaried position
· Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
· Allowance for medical and dental benefits
The position may be remote based, but residence must be somewhere in the continental U.S. While most of the duties and responsibilities of the position would be performed from home, the USAPA will require travel to various tournaments, events, etc. All travel would be discussed and approved in advance by the Executive Director and the board.