Jr Systems Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
US Signal is a leading data center services provider, offering secure, reliable network, cloud hosting, colocation, data protection, and disaster recovery services — all powered by its expansive, robust fiber network. US Signal also helps customers optimize their IT resources through the provision of managed services and professional services.
We are seeking a Jr Systems Engineer to join our team in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
The Junior Systems Engineer - Cloud position serves as a technical resource to support the company within its owned and operated data centers. The position assists in ensuring overall availability and reliability to meet or exceed defined service levels of data center operations. The Junior Systems Engineer is prepared to work diligently, practice resiliency, and arrive ready to learn.
- Support, operate, and maintain datacenter infrastructure systems servicing US Signal Cloud Computing customers
- Participate in capacity planning and management of data center resources
- Manage reporting and statistics for various platforms
- Connectivity and bandwidth management between data center and service provider network.
- Tier II and III troubleshooting with internal team members, vendors, and customers.
- Development of methods of procedure (MOPs) and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for engineering, NOC, and provisioning teams.
- Perform maintenance during data center maintenance windows as required including hardware, software, and firmware upgrades.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
- Manage and operate an enterprise class datacenter/infrastructure environment
- Multi-vendor storage systems
- Server Systems: Dell, Cisco
- Network: Cisco, Dell, Arista
- Virtualization: VMware's vSphere, vCloud Director
- Data Replication and Backup platforms
- Microsoft Server Technologies: Active Directory, Server 2012 R2/2016/2019/2022
- Linux OS and variants
- Firewall platforms
- Network monitoring platforms
- Vendor Management
- Engage vendors and research new technologies as requested by Management
Engage vendor technical support for hardware or software problems
- Understanding of virtualization with practical experience in at least one hypervisor, preference given to VMware's vSphere.
- Familiarity with a highly-available datacenter environment:
- Deploying and operating Linux or other UNIX variants.
- Server hardware management across multiple vendors.
- SAN and object storage management across multiple vendors.
- Security best practices in server configuration, tool development, and access controls.
- Microsoft Active Directory, Windows Server and WSUS; PowerShell a plus.
- Operating common enterprise switching and routing platforms.
- Deploying or managing servers in large-scale and geographically diverse environments.
- Capacity planning, utilization review & performance monitoring.
- iSCSI and/or Fiber Channel storage area networks
- Firewall and network security concepts
- Familiarity with network architecture or core technologies, and protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, VLANs, VXLAN, BGP, etc.).
- Excellent customer service focus, customer communication skills, and experience exceeding customer expectations.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal communication, and documentation skills.
- Possess superb troubleshooting and problem analysis skills.
- Act as a technical point of escalation.
- Learn and adopt best practices in documentation, testing, security, operational support at scale, and efficient use of resources.
- Possess the desire to build knowledge and develop skills to enhance work performance.
Associates or Bachelor's degree in Networking or Computer Science preferred.
- Experience with Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms
- Extensive experience with the Microsoft Office platform, Visio, and scripting.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
This position operates in a variety of environments. The majority of the time is spent in a professional office environment and this role routinely uses standard office equipment.
VCP, CCNA, MCSE: Cloud Platform & Infrastructure is a plus.
All US Signal employees will comply with US Signal Information Security policies to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of US Signal and customer data. All employees are responsible to ensure actions comply with state and federal regulations and requirements.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401k plan with a match. If you are looking to be part of a dynamic team, please apply now.
Equal Opportunity Employer
US Signal Company LLC
AddressGrand Rapids, MI
TechnologyView all jobs at US Signal Company LLC