Engineer II/Sr. Process Engineer, Media Optimization
- Posted: over a month ago
At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
As part of the Process Engineering team, the Engineer II/Sr. Process Engineer, Media Optimization will be responsible for facilitating the production of cultivated meat in our manufacturing facility. Your primary responsibilities will be working alongside Cell Culture Media R&D and applying your cell culture media expertise to improve upon and develop new procedures for media manufacturing sciences, commercial media manufacturing, and media formulation (dry powder handling, dry power mixing, milling, blending, hydration, and sterilization); your secondary responsibilities will be working alongside the Manufacturing Operations (MOPS), Mechanical Engineering (MechE), Automation, Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT), and Facilities teams to streamline cultivated meat production and the scale-up tests of new technologies. This includes technical and technological troubleshooting, maintenance, and upgrades to the process equipment and utilities in this facility. You should be creative, problem solving, technically talented, enthusiastic, and a team player. As a Sr. Process Engineer, you may also be involved in FATs, soft and hardware installations, I/O-tests, and commissioning of new equipment. There is an opportunity to support process equipment design for commercial scale-up.
- Optimize and troubleshoot cell culture media preparation and mixing procedures as well as handling tech transfer from lab-based protocols to pilot and commercial scales.
- Create, review, and approve of conceptual and detailed engineering documents including BFD/PFDs, P&IDs, equipment and automation specifications. Experience within the scope of scale-up would be a plus.
- Provide guidance to commercially relevant technology
- Design and implement innovative technologies to ensure continuous improvement in our process capabilities.
- Lead commissioning/qualification/validation of new equipment, including FAT, SAT, IQ, OQ & PQ – protocol generation as well as execution.
- B.S/M.S. in Chemical Engineering or related field with 7+ years of industrial experience in upstream fermentation operations, downstream processing, CIP/SIP, food/process manufacturing equipment, utilities, and aseptic technique
- Experienced with engineering project execution and project management
- Experience with process facility start-ups in biotechnology and/or food manufacturing
- Has experience scaling up cell culture media, dry materials, and/or dry powder handling processes to the commercial scale
- Familiarity with process equipment automation integration with SCADA systems
- Self-starter, critical thinker, passionate, and innovative
Who you'll work with…
- This role will communicate and coordinate with key stakeholders from other teams – primarily Cell Culture Media R&D, MOPS, Automation, Facilities, and MechE.
- This role is also expected to coordinate with vendors and contractors to seek and deliver parts and equipment to specification.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- First couple months – Shadow Cell Culture Media R&D, Process Engineer(s), and MOPS to learn and understand bioprocess technology
- Months 3 through 6 – Large project or multiple smaller projects to get your feet wet and implement your know-how into innovating and/or improving upon Cell Culture Media preparation in the scope of engineering and scale-up
- Months 7 through 12 – Pursue additional projects within process engineering area(s) of interests with a focus on commercially relevant bioprocess technology
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
ManufacturingView all jobs at UPSIDE Foods