The Pharmacy Technician I, under the direction and supervision of a pharmacist, will assist in the preparation, dispensing, charging, and delivery of medications to patients. Patients served include all age groups.
- Accurately prepares and labels medications for dispensing or distribution under the supervision of the pharmacist. Initials after filling all orders and ensures a pharmacist review before dispensing. Delivers medications to patient care units, and transfers/removes appropriate medications when necessary. Properly labels pre-made IV solutions and admixtures.
- Repackages medications as necessary and completes all required documentation. Understands and complies with handling procedures for controlled substances. Proactively and continuously answers the telephone, waits on customers, and checks the pneumatic tube station. Fills and delivers interdepartmental orders. Completes all necessary documentation.
- Assists in training employees and pharmacy students with regard to work procedures. Completes all necessary documentation including medication credits, charge forms and various logs according to departmental procedures. Maintains Pharmacy in a clean, orderly and safe manner by restocking shelves, cleaning work stations, returning medications to stock, etc. Performs related duties as required or assigned.
- Inspects medications in assigned areas (i. e. Pharmacy, patient care units, procedural areas, and off-site areas). Removes expired or recalled medications and completes documentation. Demonstrates an understanding and ability to use current equipment, including pneumatic tube, fax machines, printers, computers, automated dispensing cabinets, telephones, etc. Fills and replaces medications to automated dispensing cabinets. Participates in special projects as required or assigned.
- Travels among UPMC Pinnacle facilities when necessary and as directed to complete assigned Pharmacy activities. Pharmacy Technician I is not permitted to prepare sterile or non-sterile compounded products (reconstitution/repackaging is not considered compounding). Pharmacy Technician I will work every other weekend.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Employment experience required (one of the following is required): Prior pharmacy technician experience OR College Degree (minimally an Associate's degree) and previous related healthcare experience
- Certification by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) within one year.
- Prior health-system pharmacy experience preferred.
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal