Public Health Bioinformatician-County of San Diego
UNI Health Care Recruiters San Diego, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
- $35 to $40 Hourly
- Benefits: vision, dental, medical
The County of San Diego is looking for a Public Health Bioinformatician to help in the Epidemiology and Immunization Services Branch.
Minimum qualifications for this position include a combination of educational preparation and related work experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher in Bioinformatics or closely related field including biological sciences, computer science, statistics, data science, or matemeatics and two (2) years or more professional experience with bioinformatics and NGS analysis.
Estimated Length of Assignment:
- 1-2 years
- Schedule: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm, may require weekend work
The incumbent will assist with the development of computational and software frameworks capable of running multiple Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) pipeline architectures in local and cloud-based infrastructures. The incumbent will play a key role in analyzing bacterial, viral, and metagenomics data for high throughput analysis of genomic sequences and creating reports for public health intervention and action.
The incumbent must be able to work in a complex environment with professionals in public health, laboratory staff, epidemiology, and information technology. Proficiency in NGS data analysis and bioinformatics workflow development and implementation is expected.
The incumbent frequently interacts with program and project managers and may prepare reports, documents, and other communication for senior management staff. The incumbent may also interact with county contracted vendors related to information systems.
The incumbent leads, plans, develops, and oversees implementations, and maintains a wide range of bioinformatics projects.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs, developments and implements bioinformatics workflows and processes for pathogenic organisms of public health significance.
- Identifies software or programs to assist in the reporting and visualization of sequencing data, including phylogenetic analysis, SNP analysis and genome annotation.
- Validation of new tools, optimization and automation of tools, building local databases of antibiotic resistance and virulence genes.
- Leads the maintenance and troubleshooting of analysis pipelines and/or software or programs used in sequencing analyses.
- Works with program staff, vendors, IT professionals, and public health program areas to develop system requirements and plan, develop, and implement bioinformatics analysis workflows.
- Anticipates the impact that new or modified software will have on existing standards and systems and makes recommendations for solutions.
- Assist with data migration, server upgrade and data base storage requirements gathering activities.
- Tests information system usability and evaluates usage, identifies barriers, and proposes solutions.
- Works with users to help them articulate their information needs.
- Functions as a resource to provide information or determines the most effective way of meeting the bioinformatics needs of management, staff, clients, or customers.
- The field of microbiology, molecular biology, and microbial population genetics.
- Bacterial and viral bioinformatics analyses, including pipeline development for genomic alignments, phylogenetic analyses and data visualization.
- Molecular biology assays and concepts as applied to NGS library analyses.
- Bioinformatics algorithms.
- Public genomic databases and resources (NCBI, Ensembl, etc.).
- Public health reporting, information system standards, and public health data.
- Information Technology Lifecycle and information system design.
- Project management disciplines.
- Database and data warehouse development, use, and management.
- Principles and practices of epidemiology and statistical analysis.
- Provide technical assistance to system users and community partners.
- Identifies issues and addresses problems and adapts new strategies.
- Communicate complex technical information to a wide range of non-technical audiences or constituencies.
- Interpret and evaluate sequencing data to analyze, summarize, and prepare reports.
- Be familiar with a variety of database management and reporting applications, particularly those relevant for the program in which the position will reside.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage time and work duties efficiently and ensure completion of projects in a timely manner.
- Highly self-motivated and enjoy working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and documentation skills, thorough and detail-orientated
- Proficiency in R and Python
- Experience with Linux environment and Unix/Linux utilities
- Experience with cloud computing and maintenance of cloud based infrastructure
- Experience with PCR and NGS technologies and sequence analysis tools
- Experience with installing and using NGS analysis tools such as BWA, Samtools, VCFTools GATK, MUMMer, Mauve, PhyML, Figtree, etc.
- Maintaning Linux Cluster
- Experience with C++ and Java
- Proficiency in SQL as well as NoSQL database technologies
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by via Zip Recruiter. Please make sure to include a resume!
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness
I’ve worked with UNI for the past 9 months and I’ve really enjoyed it. The job is flexible, lots of times available, and you can get approved for overtime! Anytime you want to work you just call in and set up your monthly schedule.
I also worked throughout the whole covid pandemic, which was a blessing!
Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Value
Working for UNI has been the best decision I could have made. The flexibility in the schedule and opportunity to pick up shifts allows me to continue going to school full time.
This was a great experience working for UNI. Very personable & professional. & given appropriate support for roles assigned.
UNI Health Care Recruiters
UNI Health Care Recruiters is a strong force in the healthcare staffing industry for over 35 years! UNI’s success is derived from effective match-making. Our goal is not just to fill an open position but to submit a candidate we believe is the right fit to the position by learning about what’s important to both the client and the employee. It is important to us that you're happy and satisfied with your assignments. Google Reviews: David, MHA Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness I’ve worked with UNI for the past 9 months and I’ve really enjoyed it. The job is flexible, lots of times available, and you can get approved for overtime! Anytime you want to work you just call in and set up your monthly schedule. I also worked throughout the whole covid pandemic, which was a blessing! Alberto, MHA Positive: Professionalism, Quality, Value Working for UNI has been the best decision I could have made. The flexibility in the schedule and opportunity to pick up shifts allows me to continue going to school full time. Sherry, RN Positive: Professionalism This was a great experience working for UNI. Very personable & professional. & given appropriate support for roles assigned.
3851 Rosecrans StreetSan Diego, CA